Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp starting up and shuting down

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bekahlu

bekahlu

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

My computer wanted to restart for a windows upgrade but wouldn't shut down. I forced it to shut down and restart. When it came back up it went into windows then shut downs and continues this each time I turn it on. I disabled the shut down mode and on the error blue screen it says there is something that it seems is dangerous and thats why it shut down then give this code 0x00000024(0x00190203,0x8529c8c0,0xc0000102,0x00000000). What can I do to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hello bekahlu,

STOP 0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
Usual causes: Disk corruption, insufficient physical memory, Device driver, Indexing, Resident antivirus, backup, defrag programs, Disk/Drive failing/failure http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000024

• What is your computer make and model number?
  • What version of XP is on the computer: Home, Pro, or Media Edition?
  • Do you have the Windows XP Installation CD?

I would first recommend running the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics and if the drive passes, then running a check disk via the Windows recovery console.

I can provide specifics if needed after you answer the questions above.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 bekahlu

bekahlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:17 PM

It is windows xp home edition. The computer is an e machine w3107. I put the recover disk in and started the computer and now it has the e machine logo on it and it says please wait but it has been saying that and hasn't done anything else for almost 2 hours. Is that normal?

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:51 PM

Hello,

It doesn't sound as if the recovery is progressing. Is the computer set to boot from the CDROM first. This is typically set in BIOS but some computers have an F-Key to press for a Boot Menu. Is the hard drive recognized in BIOS setup?

Due to the nature of your error message, I would recommend that you test the hard drive for any errors before attempting to reinstall the operating system. You wouldn't build a house on a faulty foundation.

It's your decision. I can provide specifics regarding further testing if you like.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 bekahlu

bekahlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 09:12 PM

Please give me the steps so I can check and see what is wrong. Thank you.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hello,

1.) Make sure that the hard drive is recognized in BIOS setup:
Turn on the computer and immediately press either the F1 key or the F2 key at one-second intervals to enter the BIOS setup utility. See here. Arrow down to Check hard drive settings in BIOS; especially step #5.

If the hard drive is not recognized, let us know; otherwise, progress to Step #2.

2.) Test the hard drive:
It is always best to use the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics; however, under your circumstances, I think that SeaTools for DOS should work. You will need to create the following bootable DOS diagnostic disk on a different computer.

• Download the Seatools for DOS version by clicking the "Downloads" tab, selecting operating system, then "Download - accept license agreement. Burn the "SeaToolsDOS223ALL.Iso" image to a CD so it is bootable.

Here is a good reference: Seatools for DOS tutorial.
  • If you don't have software burn an "Iso" image or if you don't now how to then:
  • Download ImgBurn from here.
  • Install the software then start ImgBurn.
  • Select "Write Image file to disk" then under "Source" click on the "folder icon" Posted Image to the right and select the "iso" file location.
  • Click on this icon to "Start." Posted Image
[/list]
  • Restart your computer with the Diagnostic Disk. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Your hard drive(s) should be listed in the Drives List box.
  • If you have more than one drive, test them both, starting with the system drive first.
  • Highlight your system drive within the Drive List.
  • From the top menu, click on Basic Tests and run the Short test first and then the Long test. The long test may take several hours.
  • If given the option to repair the drive, allow it but ONLY if you have backed up all important data on the drive.
  • Any reported errors in either test should make you suspect a failing hard drive.

Let us know the results.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 bekahlu

bekahlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:33 PM

I am just now getting to test the hard drive. If it has errors and is fixable is there anyway to save all the data that is on it? I have a back up disk from a couple of months ago but I haven't gotten it saved lately.

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hi,

If Seatools for DOS recognizes your hard drive, then run both short and long tests. The best case scenario is a "Pass" in each scan. If you receive a "Fail" in either scan, the hard drive is failing and should not be trusted. There is a small possiblity that if bad sectors are found, the program will offer to attempt to repair (re-allocate) the bad sectors. Since data could be lost during this procedure, just say "no" for the time being.

Have a look here for data recovery: Recover files from Windows hard disk using Puppy Linux.

Do you have a Windows XP Installation CD?

Let us know.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 bekahlu

bekahlu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Both short and long test passed. Anything else I can do to get this to work. Is there a way to uninstall something since I can't get on the windows screen to do it? I have looked for the xp disk but haven't found it.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:56 PM

1.) As a precaution, I would recommend that you backup any important data using the Puppy Linux procedure (per post #8) before proceeding.

2.) If you don't have the XP Installation CD, then make a recovery CD per below:

Automated Recovery CD Creator (ARCDC)
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com (latest EXE download).
  • Double click ARCDC.exe.
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Home SP2 & SP3.
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next, you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC.
  • Don't put the CD in the drive until BurnCDCC asks you to.
  • Your XPRC.iso file will be located on your desktop.

3.) How to enter Recovery Console using Recovery Console CD:
  • Make sure that your computer is set to boot from the CDROM first. (For how to set CDROM drive to boot first, go here)
  • Put the Recovery Console CD in the CDROM and restart the computer.
  • Watch for Press any key to boot from CD... message and hit the <Enter> key.
  • Windows will load a number of files and eventually you will be presented with the following screen:
Posted Image
  • Press "R" to enter the Windows Recovery Console.
  • When asked "Which Windows Installation do you want to log into, if more than one, choose your windows installation; otherwise, "Type "1" (C:\Windows) then <Enter>.
  • Next, at "Type the administrative password," enter the administrator password if you previously set it; otherwise, just press <Enter> as this is by default, blank.
  • You should now see a "C:\Windows" prompt. (If you don't see a "C:\Windows" prompt, stop here and let us know.)
  • Otherwise, at the "C:\Windows" prompt, type: chkdsk /r and press <Enter>. (Note - "r" as in race and the space after "chkdsk")
  • Check Disk will progress through 5 stages, can take several hours to complete, and may appear to "freeze" at times. It should not be interrupted.
  • A summary of what errors it finds and corrects will be displayed once completed. Take note.
  • Type: Exit and press <Enter> to reboot. Remove the CD and attempt to boot into normal Windows.

Edited to change the command chkdsk /p above to the correct command: chkdsk /r

Edited by Artrooks, 10 August 2012 - 10:21 AM.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:23 AM

Hello,

Please note that I have edited my previous post. The proper command to run from the Recovery Console is chkdsk /r

Sorry for any confusion.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users