Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

64 bit Win 7 and MS Train sim

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:10 PM

I have a weakness for train and flight sims.

My computer consists of an ASUS M4N68T-M-V2 (AM3)mobo, AMD Athlon II X2 250 CPU, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 GT video card and an ASUS Xonar D1 sound card running 64 bit Win 7, fully patched.

Since I corrupted my boot sector about 6 months ago and had to re-install the operating system I have not been able to get the MS Train Simulator to run even though it was running on the system before this. I have been all over the UK TrainSim forums and had some lengthy discussions there, as well as following the advice I was given - no go ! I have got it running by means of a VM - Vmware's virtual player and XP but this seems an overly complicated way of doing things, especially as it ran inside Win 7 before.

Anybody on Bleeping Computer got any computing ideas as to why this software, old though it is, won't run on Win 7 any more ? Interestingly, I have a copy of the MS Combat Flight Simulator 1 working on this system, and I think that even pre-dates the MS Train Sim. The only problem I have with that is that from time to time it refuses to believe I have a joystick connected

Grateful for any suggestions,

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Well, I still don't know why I couldn't get it to run on Win 7, but I now have a nice dual-boot XP and Win 7 machine and it's running a treat ! The only thing I can think of is that, because of the way it was originally set up when I first tried dual-booting, there was some inter-action between the two OS. Along the way I tried running it in a VM. It installed without any problems,but, as has been pointed out elsewhere, games don't work well in VMs.

55 - 60 fps with all sliders to the right, I'll call that a win !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 petewills

petewills

• Members
  • 1,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:37 AM

Many old games that are not supposed to be compatible, do run on Win 7 64 bit.

I don't have the Train simulator (TS 2012 looks nice) but my year old Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit cheapo laptop happily runs Combat Flight Simulator 1, 2 and 3, FS9 (2004 Century of Flight), Falcon 4, Trackmania United Forever, Live for Speed and MotoRacer, with no Joystick or Gamepad problems and it only has integrated graphics. I didn't even bother loading any software for the controllers, nor did I have to try the games in Compatibility Mode first.

That said, I just wanted to know if they would run. Still got them all on my 9 year old XP SP3 desktop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users