Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 will not boot after factory reset and restart

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mediokrates

Mediokrates

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hi all,

Long story short... I found it necessary to use the recovery disks I created for my dell inspiron 5010n, and reset to factory settings.

The recovery seemed to go well... Windows7 booted, and configured for 1st use. (Restarting a few times in the process). Windows then indicated it needed to restart after downloading 1 update.

When it restarted, windows failed to boot... instead the windows boot manager came up with the following msg:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

So, I tried again, this time letting windows download all updates... same result.
So, I tried again, disabling auto update, and after getting everything working, restarted to the same msg.

I've now recovered again, updates disabled, (using it to type this), but know if I restart, the same issue will occur, and I'll have to recover again.

Does this have something to do with (edit) bcdedit?
Anyone have an idea what's going on, and how to fix this.

FYI... I don't have a windows7 installation disc. F2 options, Windows7 gives the same msg, and the memory test will not run, giving this msg:

File: \boot\memtest.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

EDIT: I found memtest.exe under C: Windows/boot/PCAT. When I tried to run it, it indicated that it cannot run in Windows32 mode.
This is a 64 bit OS

Edited by Mediokrates, 01 August 2012 - 06:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hello -
Edited due to Wrong links to programs -

New and correct link for bcdedit BCDEDIT - How to Use - Windows 7 Forums

You must load and burn the 64bit version of Memtest 86, and it will also run on 32bit systems with no problems -
Memtest86 Version 4.0a (20-Aug-2011)•Multi-CPU Support! Multi-threaded for parallel testing of memory with up to 16 CPUs
•Works with up to 64Gb of memory
•Supports 32 and 64 bit CPUs
•For installation and usage instructions Click Here

However you must use an ISO burner like ImgBurn to burn the CD and not a Generic burner -
I can / will edit the post and leave a link for ImgBurn in 2 minutes for you -

Thank You -
EDIT -
Link for ImgBurn Download from File Hippo NOTE the only link to click is the one at Top Right side -
Watch for any unwanted Add Ons during the download and refuse them, fhen continue -

Edited by noknojon, 01 August 2012 - 08:51 PM.

#3 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:11 PM

OK, I've downloaded memtest 86 4a and burned to disc.

Do I have to reboot to start the disc?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

Next, boot to the CD. Memtest86 will start immediately and begin testing your RAM.<<
Reset your Boot settings in BIOS to boot from the CD Drive and insert the CD to start
Run at least for 1 hour first (unless you get errors), but it is better to run for 12 hours -

Edited by noknojon, 01 August 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hello -
I just need to add this as an extra item -
Did you check for all drivers from Dell after you completed the reinstall ??
Dell drivers are specific only to your Dell model and are not Generic in their nature.

This can also be a minor problem if they are not updeted to current versions, or not all were retained on your Recovery disks -

Thank You -

#6 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:07 PM

Ok, ran memtest for 3 hours... 4 tests, all passed no errors.
Ran the full diagnostic in F12, and passed, then the partition utility ran and came back with "Pure Call!"

From the research I've been doing, a few people have experienced this, and most of the suggestions indicate using a win7 repair or installation disk, which I don't have.

I may try recovering the computer again (as it turned off for some reason) and see if I can create a repair disk (the last one I tried to make failed, but they were cheap hp discs).

I'm not sure how to check which drivers I need versus hardware I have.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hi Mediokrates,

Your computer may have a hidden recovery partition on the hard drive. If that's the case and you still are having difficulty with the rescue disk installation, give the hidden partition recovery a try: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19436065.aspx.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Issue resolved!

For those that are interested.

I gave up and took the laptop into a shop I have done business with in the past. They said it was the hard drive. So I picked up a replacement and switched them out. Recovered and restarted to the same error. I wasn't happy. I took the laptop back and they did a clean win7 install, which worked.

However, it was a bare bones install, and I lost some programs that I wanted which came pre-installed, like media center and roxio. I told them I was concerned about having purchased the hard drive since it didn't solve the issue, and they agreed to take it back, if I could get the old one working.

So I created a startup repair disc from the new win7 install. Put the old hard drive in and booted. This time, windows began to load but hung up. I then booted into safe mode, and a blank desktop appeared. I then booted from the startup repair disc, which found no errors.

So, I recovered the old hard drive yet again, and restarted to the original error. I then booted from the startup disc and it found an error in a boot file, and fixed it. Win7 then loaded!

I performed updates and restarted successfully. I replaced the trial programs with permanent ones, and restarted successfully. Performed more updates and restarted successfully. All told I restarted successfully about 6 times during this process. So far, I've restarted about 20 times, all successfully.

So it appears that this was not a hard drive issue, but a windows 7 issue. How it happened since making the recovery disc was the first thing I did after taking the laptop out of the box, I don't know. Maybe an issue with the disc itself.

Anyway, issue resolved, and taking back the new hard drive to get my money back.

Hope this helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users