Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is vista laptop truly ready for 7 upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bitesized1612

bitesized1612

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:52 PM

I need some advice for the OS upgrade I'm going to do on my 4yo Acer laptop from Vista Home Premium SP2 to 7 Professional. I'm worried that it might not preform in the way that I want it to and I should just keep it Vista until I buy/get a new computer. I have no idea when I'm going to be able to afford a brand new computer but I notice that Vista is more and more outdated and unstable when I try to use applications on with it. Windows Update, Defender, Firewall, Back Up and some drivers are no longer functioning properly and trying any new applications or installing new drivers is getting increasingly difficult. I got Windows 7 (and Ubuntu 12.04) to work perfectly fine if a bit slow on a virtual machine with a limited amount of memory and HD space so I'm wondering if my anxiety is unfounded. :mellow:

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Perhaps...you ought to try a clean install of Vista...to see if that eliminates your current anxieties.

The compatibility list only assumes that the components are the key potential issues and are in good working condition. If they aren't, it would be wise to find out, using a clean install as the vehicle. If your problems exist with a clean install, I'd say that you would have to look at the functional status of the hardware.

And...by all means...run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic before doing an install of anything. It's the component most likely to be problematical in any system.

Louis

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:11 PM

Hello -
According to the listings from Acer, your Acer Aspire 4720z only lists upgrade drivers for XP and Vista Here
RAM / Max RAM - Up to 2 GB of DDR2 533 MHz memory, upgradeable to 2 GB using two soDIMM modules (dual-channel support)
Your 2GB of RAM is only average for a 32bit Windows7 install as 4GB is usually much better

Personally only, I would leave the situation as hamluis has advised for now, and save up for a new unit with Windows7 installed (Christmas Present to self)

Thank You -

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:37 AM

let me add some info ,useful or not i'm not sure ,I have next to a Acer sspire 5520 that came with Vista [but had win7 on it when it was given to me ] in the past week i have installed winxp ,win7 HP, Win7 pro 64bit , win7 enterprise and maybe another one .
something to do , and fun are the reasons i did this ,problems i have been having with win7 is drivers for the device like touchpad/ wireless device /sound /webcam/tvtuner ect ect ,usually can get them to install the drivers but getting them to perform correctly was another thing .
so i too will to agree with Hamulis on this one ,enjoy Vista
just to add My wife's 4 yr old Toshiba laptop still has the original install of Vista [sp2] and it performs just great ,so maybe a fresh install is all you need ,and maybe another 1 gig of ram to help out !

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 bitesized1612

bitesized1612
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

I don't have a install CD, but I do have a recovery partition that I can use to restore to factory settings. I'm going to bite the bullet and try it, and if it doesn't fix my issues, I'm going to go with the 7 clean install. If that doesn't work (laptop does need a bit of repair), then I'll sell it and get a brand new laptop. I have no idea when the recession is going to let up long enough to get a budget together. Right now, every cent's being put into surviving until there's a job opportunity for either me or my father.

Thank you for the advice. :) I've weighed quite a few upgrading pro/cons over 8 months since getting a rootkit infection and really not wanting it to happen again for any reason. If I still can't get Vista to cooperate with me just to protect itself, then I'm just going to have to try my luck with a 7 that may run slowly.

I heard that 7 is what Vista "should have been"? Is that true like for better use of resources and less bloatware, driver compatibility, etc etc? I'm shamefully out of the loop on this OS.

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) // HP EliteBook 8460p = 2.50GHz + 8GB RAM 

AVAST! - Google Chrome & Mozilla Firefox - LibreOffice - Rainmeter

Currently Testing: Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE on a Dell Inspiron 531 (2.1Ghz +3GB RAM)

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Hi bitesized1612,

I know that I don't have to tell you to backup any important data before performing a system recovery.

After the Vista recovery finishes and you have installed all Microsoft and security software updates, here are a few Vista tweaks that I have found effective in speeding up a Vista system: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/81176-speed-up-performance-vista.html.
The only one I disagree with is turning off system restore. I recommend that you leave system restore enabled.

Here is a link to Downloads and Support Documents: Aspire 4720z. You will note that if you enter your operating system, that device drivers are available for all versions or Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Is that true like for better use of resources====yes its better ,
and less bloatware===bloatware is installed by the laptop maker ,not Microsoft ,so after you run the recovery ,go to add and remove programs and uninstall all the crap installed by Acer

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users