Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heat sink stuck fast to CPU

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

Hello,

Does anyone have any special way of removing a heat sink that is "stuck fast" to a CPU? I've inadvertantly pulled a few CPUs out of the socket with the latch still closed when being overly ambitious. Of course, I bent some pins in the process.

Any special techniques, materials, or advice for future endeavors?

Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2012 - 03:46 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Regards,
Brooks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:42 PM

On the Intel Socket 478 P4s I just stick a screwdriver under the edge and gently twist it to get a lifting action. I just looked at a AM2 and it would work on the one I have also.

In the past where there was no lip on the CPU I used a razor knife blade and worked it under a corner of the CPU.

Bent Pins I have used a razor knife blade and worked it down the row of pins until I get to the bent pin and gently work it back upright that way. Being careful to use the back of the blade and not the sharp edge against the pins. Even then If the pin was bent flat against the CPU I didn't have tons of luck. That method works best it they are slightly bent.

I just remembered I have also used a dental pick due to the fine point on badly bent pins.

You could also Google with this straighten cpu pins and see what comes up.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 August 2012 - 03:27 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Thanks Roger, Good advice.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:58 AM

... I've inadvertantly pulled a few CPUs out of the socket with the latch still closed ...

I did that once: Then I learned how to go about it properly.

... I just stick a screwdriver under the edge and ... twist it to get a lifting action.

Ooooh! That sounds a bit too brutal ... even for me!

Heat and a twisting action ... not a pulling/lifting action.
  • Apply lots of heat to the heatsink (with a hairdryer) to soften the "adhesive", and then gently twist/rotate the heatsink, which should loosen fairly easily.
    It has worked for me, and has minimal risk of damaging anything.

Edited by AustrAlien, 02 August 2012 - 06:02 AM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:57 AM

Thanks Geoff,

Using a hair dryer (heat) prior to twisting makes a lot of sense.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:26 AM

One thing to remember when removing a CPU from the heat sink is to be careful to do it in such a manner it doesn't drop and bend any pins and that if you grip it that you be very careful of the pins.

No pins on the CPU from Intel since socket 775. Big improvement. Of course now the pins are in the motherboard socket.

No heat may sound brutal, however I never damaged one that way yet. I do use a light pressure working my way around. And I don't have a hair dryer and the heat gun would most likely melt the plastic of the fan.

Artrooks, ... I've inadvertantly pulled a few CPUs out of the socket with the latch still closed ...

AustrAlien said. I did that once: Then I learned how to go about it properly.

Are you saying that before pulling the heat sink from the motherboard you heat each heatsink before removing the heat sink or do you mean you try and twist the heat sink to break the attachment first or ??

Edited by rotor123, 02 August 2012 - 10:28 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:42 PM

@ Roger : "Are you saying ............... or ??"
Back then, I didn't know that I needed to remove the heatsink (which was stuck tight) from the CPU before undoing the latch (what latch?) and pulling the CPU out of its socket! It was my first time ... and I did not know about all these little tricks ... traps for young players.
  • I soon learned the hard way: When I put the thing back together (again ... what latch?), it did not work (bent pins of course)!
In a situation where the heatsink is stuck to the CPU ... and doesn't fall off
  • Heat, combined with a gentle twisting/rotating action results in the heatsink being easily "unstuck".
"And I don't have a hair dryer ..."
I didn't either: After googling to discover a solution for the "stuck heatsink" problem .... I went right out and bought an old one from a charity/second-hand shop especially for the job. (It's a very simple and cute, bright yellow, "banana" shaped one.)
  • I have been able to remove the plastic fan assembly before applying the hair-dryer to the heatsink each time that I needed to apply heat. Perhaps that is not always the case?

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:53 PM

The big problem is that with Socket 478 for example you can't get to the socket latch with the heatsink on. Some of the other like a socket 472 AMD or Pentium III you can.

You weren't the first nor will you be the last to bend pins.

Regards
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:04 PM

The big problem is that with Socket 478 for example you can't get to the socket latch with the heatsink on.

That was a fair-dinkum conundrum for me! No longer is it a problem now that I have my trusty little hair dryer ....
  • Apply heat, and the heatsink comes off easily ...

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users