Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RealPlayer and VLC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Hello:

I have Realplayer downloader and VLC installed to download and play various videos. When I get notified by FileHippo that there is a new version available, should the old version be removed by Revo or another installer, before updating ? I definitely don't want to lose the old videos. I spent the past 30 minutes looking for the answer at Realplayer, and can't even locate a Q & A section, much less the answer. I have the same question about VLC.
Feel free to criticise. If I should be using different video programs please advise.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Hmmm...I use RP on my XP install (dual-boot) and I just ignore the update option. If your system works fine with the older version, there's really no need to update. With programs like that, the update may reflect new features, new advertising, whatever...I suggest you read up on the update itself, rather than just installing it without consideration.

Windows will support as many different multimedia programs as a user wants...I've not seen evidence of a need to specify a particular one or two, the only possible point of confusion comes when specifying a given program as the default for a given type of file. Even then, the files will play/work properly when opened with another player/program.

Louis

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:11 AM

Firefox has an addon for web users wanting to download certain videos online. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/ or https://addons.mozilla.org/En-us/firefox/addon/easy-youtube-video-downl-10137/

Tekken

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:01 AM

Where do you save your downloaded media? If it's not in the folder structure of the application, or in other words stored on a second drive or different folder than the application, then no it won't delete your content.

Further, an installer, if written even with poor skills, should NEVER delete files not installed by itself. The installer for either VLC or RealPlayer only knows about the files it adds/installs and wouldn't know to remove your videos. It is possible for the uninstall to delete its own folder and all files left in them, including your videos, but that would be a silly move done by a poor installer and not something I would expect from either of the products mentioned.

If you have any doubts copy the videos to a new location until after your update.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users