Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a Webcam with Optical zoom for streaming on an android tablet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xer 21

xer 21

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:42 PM

So yes, i am intedning to stream some of my university's intramural games, and need a webcam or camcorder that cam operate as a USB webcam with an OPTICAL zoom. price is no object.

any thoughts? HD is a must.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:04 PM

Whether or not it's even possible depends on your tablet on the hardware side (some won't use the USB ports for input except through proprietary software). Beyond that, I can't find anyone who tried it and reported success. A few wanting to. A few saying they would try. But those who tried never said if it worked or failed, and those who wanted to never said if they ever found one that worked.

#3 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:52 PM

Any webcam should be able to theoretically work with an android tablet that has usb ports, but the problem lies with the drivers. There are ways to compile your own driver on your phone, but that's very difficult you'd need to be very savvy at programming. They don't just have a driver that you could just manually install, and even if they did it would probably be a driver for generic cheap webcams. I read that in order to make and compile the driver for an HD webcam would be a lot harder especially since you want to ad the option of optical zoom.

Unfortunately you're probably not going to find what you want since no one is really interested in making webcam drivers for android.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#4 xer 21

xer 21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Any webcam should be able to theoretically work with an android tablet that has usb ports, but the problem lies with the drivers. There are ways to compile your own driver on your phone, but that's very difficult you'd need to be very savvy at programming. They don't just have a driver that you could just manually install, and even if they did it would probably be a driver for generic cheap webcams. I read that in order to make and compile the driver for an HD webcam would be a lot harder especially since you want to ad the option of optical zoom.

Unfortunately you're probably not going to find what you want since no one is really interested in making webcam drivers for android.

my problem is that i cant even find webcams with optical zoom. at all.

or if ifind them, they arent HD, but security cams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users