Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer acts weird

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:14 AM

My computer works, but it does strange things that bother me, like stuff changes, I have Norton Internet Security, which has worked well, it is hard to describe, but it feels like something is not right. the other day, the desktop turned black from a blue Windows pattern I had on it, I replaced it with a color. The other day, I tried to download itunes to be my music library, it was a disaster, so I finally gave up. It just would not work. Any ideas or a scan I could run to check it out?
Jim

-I think that I just found the problem, there is a new program in my list of programs called "Speedy PC Cleaner" - I googled it and found out it was malware, I think it came in when I was downloading something else. I found a Scan/cleaner that is supposed to get rid of it, but I wanted to make sure it was ok , cause this is supposed to be dangerous.

*Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Queen-Evie*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 August 2012 - 08:04 AM.

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:18 PM

Which scan cleaner did you find? You need to be careful with what you download to use as many of them are scams.

I suggest you only scan with trustworthy programs like:You can also supplement your security tools and get a second opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

Thanks Quietman,
I think that I will try Malwarebytes, but a little later, I don't want to rush. The one I found was not listed on page, it could be another scam
Thanks, will let you know.

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

You're welcome.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

#5 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:33 AM

Quietman,
I spent time and studied malwarebytes,wrote all of stuff down, then activated it, it ran a full scan and found 2 bugs, that's all it said, and that is what I had ,so I thought, yeh it found em, then it said, you need to restart computer to make sure malware is removed,so it was slow, but it did do restart. The offenders are Weatherbug and Speedy PC cleaner.
It took awhile to get my computer back up to speed, I realized it had turned Norton off, which it was supposed to do, so I turned it back on.
Then I checked my list of programs and there they were, Mbam did not clean out my problems, I don't know what 2 viruses it cleaned out, but it was not those 2.
I tried getting SPC cleaner thru the control panel and it said it was dis installed. It is not in the list anymore,but, it is not in recycle bin, so it is lurking somewhere. I could not get Weather Bug to budge, they came in a bundle when I tried to download itunes Sunday. Should I delete the Malwarebytes, it says it is a trial version, only good for 13 more days, and I used the link from your page on (or whoever set up the links pages), I guess they don't have a free version anymore, but I did everything right. I think what happened was that it lost the battle at the end of the scan, when it said click here to remove bugs,everything was going smoothly in the scan, until I clicked the final button, remove malware, then a popup came up and said, you have to do a restart to make sure the malware is gone, I clicked where it wanted me to click and nothing happened,so I restarted it myself at the bottom of the page, which took a couple of times to start.
Any other ideas, try the other one? Thanks for your help,
Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#6 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

OK,
I got one, one to go, I saw Weatherbug in my list of programs, rightclicked it,clicked delete,went right to recycle, and I deleted it from recycle. Now, for the Hard one "Speedy PC Cleaner", there is an ad for it at bottom of this page or there is now. Please, Help
Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#7 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

I was wrong, Weatherbug showed back up, these 2 are in a bundle as mabam says, Please, Quietman or someoneone who has experience dealing with Speedy PC Cleaner Pro, please help, there are tons of posts on google about how bad a virus it is.
Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:50 AM

The offenders are Weatherbug and Speedy PC cleane

Neither of them are malicious programs. Speedy PC Cleaner Pro is a registry cleaner and optimizer. I do not recommend using such programs for a variety of reasons.

Weatherbug is a desktop weather applicaton by AWS WeatherNet that provides local weather conditions and displays an icon with real time temperatures in the systray tray. Although Weatherbug is not spyware, the free version is ad-supported with both banner and pop-up ads which in my opinion makes it adware. This is not uncommon as advertising sponsors help keep WeatherBug and similar programs free. There is an adware free version called WeatherBug Plus which is available to users but they must purchase it.

The WeatherBug website claims the application has no advertising pop-ups and denies the program is spyware or adware due to the lack of a standard definition. The following quote was previously written on their website.

We believe that the proper definition of adware is any program that secretly gathers personal information through the Internet and relays it back to another computer, generally for advertising purposes. This is often accomplished by tracking information related to Internet browser usage or habits.

The vendor then claims that WeatherBug does not meet the criteria for being labeled adware based on how they define it, however, there are security experts who disagree with their defintion and consider the free program adware.

Both of these programs are known to be bundled with other software you download and install and both can be problematic by affecting system performance.

The correct way to remove any program is to use Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7 first, then restart the computer and delete the Program folder if it still exists. Also see the vendor's instructions: How to uninstall Weatherbug.

Another thing to keep in mind with removal using the Windows Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features utility is that it does not always do a thorough job of removing all the files, folders and related registry entries. As such, you may want to consider using Revo Uninstaller Free or Portable which does a more comprehensive job of uninstalling programs..

Should I delete the Malwarebytes, it says it is a trial version, only good for 13 more days

No...after the trial period you can use it as a free stand-alone scanner.

Mbam did not clean out my problems, I don't know what 2 viruses it cleaned out, but it was not those 2.

You can find that info by looking at its log.

To retrieve the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan log information, launch MBAM.
  • Click the Logs Tab at the top.
  • The log will be named by the date of scan in the following format: mbam-log-yyyy-mm-dd
    -- If you have previously used MBAM, there may be several logs showing in the list.
  • Click on the log name to highlight it.
  • Go to the bottom and click on Open.
  • The log will automatically open in Notepad as a text file.
  • Go to Edit and choose Select all.
  • Go back to Edit and choose Copy or right-click on the highlighted text and choose Copy from there.
  • Come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
  • Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
If you have a previous log where any infections were detected/removed, please post that log too.

Logs are automatically saved to the following locations:
-- XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-yyyy-mm-dd
-- Vista, Windows 7, 2008: C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\Logs\mbam-log-yyyy-mm-dd

#9 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:29 AM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Trial) 1.62.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.08.02.01

Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 NTFS
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421
Jim :: JIM-PC [administrator]

Protection: Enabled

8/2/2012 1:18:52 AM
mbam-log-2012-08-02 (01-18-52).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 367329
Time elapsed: 43 minute(s), 6 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 2
C:\Users\Jim\Downloads\openfreely_1296 (1).exe (PUP.BundleOffers.IIQ) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Jim\Downloads\openfreely_1296.exe (PUP.BundleOffers.IIQ) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

(end)

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#10 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

Quietman,
It says they were deleted, but I still see them on computer
Jim
PS-gonna sleep a bit

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:03 AM

What says they were deleted?
Where do they show on your computer?

#12 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Files Detected: 2
C:\Users\Jim\Downloads\openfreely_1296 (1).exe (PUP.BundleOffers.IIQ) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Jim\Downloads\openfreely_1296.exe (PUP.BundleOffers.IIQ) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

-Hi Quietman,here at bottom of mbam support report, I will try the things you mentioned to get rid of Weatherbug, and Speedy PC cleaner, They showed on my Computer right on the program list on top of start button. Mbam seems like a good program, but this version , I'm going to have to delete, it is the trial version, not free version. I'm on disability, and I can't afford it, thanks alot for helping me, I really appreciate this site, it is helpful for new computer owners.
JIm

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

The Files Detected 2 entries means MBAM found, quarantined and deleted two PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)).

You do not need to delete the trial version of MBAM. It is the same as the free version...the only difference is that after the trial period ends, the PRO features that provide real-time protection are disabled but the rest of the program works for performing scans.

If Weatherbug and Speedy PC cleaner are showing in the programs list on top of the Start button, they are shortcuts created for your ease of use. The actual files and folders are usually installed in a folder located elsewhere (i.e. C:\Program Files).

If you just try to delete a program's folder in C:\Program Files, that will not result in a proper removal and there will be many related files, shortcuts and registry entries left behind. The proper way to uninstall is by following the instructions I previously provided. Still, in some cases you may need to remove shortcuts in the Program list on top of the Start button, if they are left behind. In those cases you can just right-click on them and choose delete.

#14 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

Thanks again Quietman,
You have taught me alot, I ran mabam again and it showed nothing that it deleted or found,so I guess that it did do it's job, I'm just finding traces left behind, except maybe Weatherbug.It is still showing up in control panel.
Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,108 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 05:29 AM

How To Add Or Remove Control Panel Applets in Windows 7 and Vista
Remove or Hide Unwanted Items From the Control Panel in Windows 7

CAUTION: Some steps involve making changes in the Windows registry. Always Create a New Restore Point and back up your registry before making any changes.
Vista and Windows 7 users can refer to these links:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users