Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

mouse sticking at the bottom?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 briffdogg

briffdogg

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:47 AM

hi my mouse works for a bit then just sticks on the bottom, i try to scroll up and it just flips right back to the bottom and cant scroll up, when i try to click an icon on the desktop or any folder it only opens the last icon whatever it may be, so i drag the icon i wanna open to be the last one and then i can open it, please help?

I posted this is am i infected what to do, and ran the scans, he suggested its a cd issue and to get help here, is that right? heres the link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic452274.html/page__p__2686626__fromsearch__1#entry2686626

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:18 AM

Hi -
I may have a simple answer for you -
Have you (or someone) else enabled >>>> Caret Browsing <<<<< Please Read -
Cursor scrolls to bottom of screen for a variety of reasons.
Caret browsing causes this. - You won't see a cursor if Caret Browsing is off.
Computer has to be restarted before the Caret Browsing changes take effect.

Open: Internet-Explorer
Select: Tools\Internet-Options
Select Advance Tab:
Accessibility: (top category - do not check the following items)
Enable Caret Browsing for new windows and tabs - do not check this
Move system caret with focus/selection changes - do not check this

Regards -
Extra - Please update Malwarebytes as it is about 10 days outdated now -

#3 briffdogg

briffdogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:37 AM

hi but i use firefox always?

Move system caret with focus/selection changes wasnt selected, and is the second one on the list, but i cant find
Enable Caret Browsing for new windows and tabs?

when i open sticky keys options with 5 shifts i press cancel and it works for very little then the problem comes back?

Edited by briffdogg, 01 August 2012 - 04:46 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:09 AM

Same in Firefox <<<<<

The Browser makes no change at all - If you use firefox always it is exactly the same
I just left the Internet Explorer version, but please read the link at the top and it is for Firefox users -

Regards -

#5 briffdogg

briffdogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.62.0.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.08.01.03

Windows XP Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS (Safe Mode/Networking)
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180
Derick Briffa :: BRIFFA [administrator]

8/1/2012 5:44:59 AM
mbam-log-2012-08-01 (05-44-59).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|E:\|)
Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM
Scan options disabled: P2P
Objects scanned: 455328
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 46 minute(s), 50 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:26 PM

Hi briff -
Did any of the Firefox information above on Carat Browsing give you any help at all ?

Also thank you for showing that your system is able to update MBAM to the current version.
However, a scan in Safe Mode will rarely find anything except the most raging of infections, The program is not designed that way.
It will always produce a log, but with Malwarebytes, you need to use the Chameleon version if you cannot use it in Normal Mode.

Go - Start > Programs > Malwarebytes Anti-Malware > Tools > MBAM Chameleon and use this version.

SuperantiSpyware Free may work better in Safe mode than MBAM as it uses a slightly different base engine setup -

Regards -

#7 briffdogg

briffdogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:50 PM

hi no the carat browsing was off already and it didnt help, im running the scan now again in normal mode but have many times already and found nothing?

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for your updates-
I am still scanning Google for items like Mouse pointer drops to bottom of page and any related words / versions
It seems to be not uncommon, and many people found that a new mouse had solved the problem.

Can I ask exactly what type of mouse you are using, USB wired / Wireless / Ball Roller / or any thing else that may help me search -

Thanks for putting up with my slow results but I am still on it

Is this your only remaining problem ??

EDIT -
Can you try Carat Browsing by pressing F7 and using your Arrow keys ??

Edited by noknojon, 01 August 2012 - 07:24 PM.

#9 briffdogg

briffdogg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:54 AM

hi i use a logitech, lazer, wireless mouse for many years now. Well sometimes youtube videos dont want to play smoothly and the computer takes long to open some web pages, could we fix that also please, take you time, thank you for your help.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:54 AM

First a list of "basic maintaining projects" some of which will help to speed up your system.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic44690.html/page__view__findpost__p__240174
Next item may be tricky but I think I noted that you only run XP SP2 and not SP3, any reason for this ??
From what I think. This can be downloaded and then loaded to your computer from a working computer using CD or USB flash drive.

You will be missing heaps of updates and security patches without SP3 - Windows XP Service Pack 2 x86 NTFS - Yes listed here.
At the top of the XP forum area is a guide to updating to SP3 that is a bit dated now, and most of the bugs listed no longer exist. - Helps you heaps -.

i use a logitech, lazer, wireless mouse for many years now << When were the batteries last replaced (not recharged but Replaced) Do not use Rechargable ones
Take the USB plug out of the computer (remember the slot) clean it inside and outside and try another USB slot first, put it back in the old one if it has not altered.
Now clean all of the mouse both under as well as on top, then very gently tap the mouse while it is upside down (crap sticks in them) I know, because mine needs a clean.

Are you now using Normal Mode even if a few things are a bit slow ? Because it would be a lot better for updates etc.
Go Start > Programs, and is Windows or Microsoft updates listed at the top of programs and we can try to see if any Critical Updates are listed there -
You do not want any Custom updates, as many are not required -
Last Job if you can -Please download MiniToolBox, Save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:

•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Edited by noknojon, 02 August 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:14 AM

EXTRA IS NEEDED -

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=43 << You may need to install Internet Explorer 8 from this link
This is to get your downloads from Microsoft, even if you only use Firefox, remember it is still a Windows based Operating System

There will be much that has been missed since you do not update your computers Windows system - It is not a Firefox System -
This is the basis of all your downloads and running setup that may cause many of your problems -

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:52 AM

Direct response from Logitech on your problems and some solutions -

This happens normally if the USB receiver is not in line with the mouse, or if there is an awkward angle or an obstruction blocking the RF signals..
Try eliminating any sort of interference that might interfere with your cordless mouse. Any electrical device, such as the wireless routers, computer monitor, Zip drives, speakers, etc., can cause interference with Logitech cordless products. Most likely, this will affect tracking of pointing devices or the range of the device. .
Also, using Logitech cordless devices on a metal desk or a desk with a metal frame can cause problems with pointing device behavior and range. To resolve these types of issues, try moving the receiver at least 8 inches away from other electrical devices. Interference issues can also be resolved by moving the mouse closer to the receiver. .

You may also want to experiment with different locations and positions for the receiver, including moving the receiver to an upright/vertical position or rotated to a different angle. Another alternate solution is to elevate the receiver by placing it on a CD ROM case or other item..

Try using the mouse on a mouse pad or piece of paper (preferable white since you can also conserve battery life. Other surfaces that have been known to cause tracking problems are some wood grains, grooved surfaces, on a glass or otherwise see-through surface and on a reflective surface, such as a mirror or shiny metal desk..

Also if you use a cordless keyboard the signals can interfere with your cordless mouse

Finally the batteries are designed to last no longer than about 3 years and should be replaced if there are any problems with the mouse -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users