Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 No boot, Blinking Cursor after BIOS loads

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 mechjames

mechjames

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:51 PM

After cleaning out my system in this thread, I was asked to come over here to help solve my issue:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic426754.html/page__st__30__p__2769309#entry2769309

After I removed the bad fake partition, and did the bootrec stuff. After rebooting the computer and completing the BIOS checks, I was left with a blinking "_" cursor, it just blinks. No hard drive activity from the light on the front of the case. I booted into recovery CD again and did the bootrec stuff again, and the same result. I also used the Startup Repair on the recovery CD, and it did say it found issues, and supposidely fixed them, but still have the blinking cursor.

I decided I needed to at least get it up and running for internet browsing, so I installed Fedora Linux as a dual boot like I have done in the past. Fedora works great, but when I select Windows 7 at the boot screen, I still have the blinking "_" cursor.

After running some bootrec commands in that thread, I lost my GRUB dual boot screen, and just back to the blinking "_" cursor after the BIOS screen.

I also noticed when running /rebuildBCD, it says "Total Identified Windows Installations : 0", which is odd, because when first loading Windows recovery console, it shows my Windows 7 Ultimate install on the list.

Can anyone suggest anything? We can start from the beginning if it is easier. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

Hi mechjames,

Not sure of your knowledge level but you seem to know enough to bounce from OS to OS when needed so I'll continue from that...

As it's the Windows partition and OS you care to save let me point you to a few things that might help right off, if you are comfortable with the tools. (Not sure if your a shell or GUI guy so bear with me.)

Fixing grub or grub2 isn't that hard but a few steps we can get into later if needed. Are you using a live cd/dvd to boot Linux? Are you able to use gparted or even fdisk to see what's going on with the drive?

A tool I have used from Linux to fix a HDD issue is called ntfsfix. If not part of your current tools its available using your usual installer, apt, dpkg, synaptic, etc.

As a last resort you can reinstall Windows using the upgrade option so you save all your data and profiles so keep that in mind.

In linux can you mount the drives or partitions you want to fix/save?

Have you used linux to backup/copy the data you don't want to lose?

Let us know how any of the above goes so we can proceed.

Regards,
Zen

#3 mechjames

mechjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:14 PM

I can do shell and GUI, doesn't make a difference to me.
I wasn't using a livecd to boot linux, but can boot a ubuntu or fedora livecd to access the hard drive. If you want, I can show you a gparted report/graph.

In linux I can mount my windows partition and access all files.
Basically the windows bootloader just can't access the install.

#4 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:12 AM

Sorry for the late reply, life got in the way, if you are still interested I think you could use the livecd to boot and repair the install. I've repaired broken linux loaders by either reinstalling grub or following some helpful steps on the Aptosid help pages on their livecd. (Current flavour of linux I use.)

I've also fixed a windows partition using a rescue cd and then had to repair grub as windows tends to be more of a pain. It's the approach I'd use in your case. (You can also, as a last resort, do an upgrade over your existing install and then fix your boot loader.)

#5 mechjames

mechjames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:18 AM

Hi, I'm still interested.

I can try reinstalling Fedora using the "Remove all Linux partitions and install" option and get back into it as a dual boot. I don't really care about Fedora though. I just want to get the Windows bootloader working (I don't need a dual boot Windows/Linux system with GRUB)

If there's something I can do with the Windows Recovery CD or through linux commands on a live cd, to fix my Windows boot issue, that would be the best. After getting Windows working, I was going to remove the linux partitions anyway.

I only installed Fedora Linux on the system to make sure that I could still access all my windows files and that the hard drive was OK.

#6 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

:welcome:

Lets give it a try. You will need a USB Flash drive.

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Click on Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt
  • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
  • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
  • Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
  • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
    Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hello, just letting you know I moved this topic to Here in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum where it will stay.

Please remember to click the Watch Topic button at the top right and select Immediate Notification so you do not miss any replies now that you were moved.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,297 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users