Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop monitor very dim

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ryan_85

Ryan_85

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:36 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new here but was hoping I could get some help, or at least some suggestions with my problem. I didn't know or belong to any computer tech forums, since my laptop has always been in pretty good health and I'm not a big computer guy, so it just never came up.

Anyway, about a week ago, I noticed off and on my monitor on my HP Pavilition dv6700 laptop wouldn't fully light up. I would have to hold a flashlight up to it to see anything, which is what I'm doing now. However, shutting down and firing back up just once or twice would fix the problem, so I never really thought anything of it.

Then, about 5 days ago, it just would not light up, at all. So, after a little Googling, I thought maybe it would be the backlight or inverter, if that sounds right? I called up a local place and explained my problem and they said $100 to fix it, parts and labor. I procrastinated taking it in for a few days and then, lo and behold, my laptop was working perfectly again. That is, up until today. This morning I was on it for a few hours and it worked as it always did. Then I put it into sleep mode, took a two hour walk, came home and its doing the same thing again.

What could be the problem? As a bit of history, 90% of the time when I was done with my laptop, I'd typically put it into sleep mode... just shutting down the lid. And, about 2 weeks ago I got a new battery, an off brand replacement, that's a 12 cell instead of an 8. I'm hoping neither of those things contributed to this problem.

Although, since it started working again on its own 5 days ago, I had been sticking to shutting down completely when done with it, that is up until today when I did so, as previously mentioned, when I went for a walk. Then bam! There's the problem again. But yeah, I'm typing this with a headband flashlight, basically... lol.

Bit annoying, but my computer functions as it always has... just no monitor backlight.

I thank any and all, in advance, for your help, as well as your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 10 August 2012 - 09:50 PM

Hi, Ryan.
Is there a TV or monitor about that can be attached to the laptop for testing purposes?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users