Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira and MSE

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

I have just finished scanning with mailwarebytes and Spybot, and Superantispyware and they all found bad entries. which is very unusual for me. I let them clean, and scanned again and rebooted and seems to be clean. My ? might be,,,I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials (Kept updated and scanned regularly and wonder why they got through. I intended to use Avira free, but during the install was advised by Avira to uninstall my Spybot and Spywareblaster. I have ALWAYS used these two, not the immunize feature of SpyBot tho. Would someone like to recommend a solution please...Thanks...Jim Ed By the way the Trojan came in with Softonic down-loader...

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

1) You should not use two anti virus apps simultaneously. If you intend to use Avira you should uninstall MSE (though I would keep MSE and forget Avira).

2) SypBot is old school and pretty much worthless. I'd uninstall it. MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware are the current best of breed.

3) Exactly what did your scans reveal? I'm guessing they were tracking cookies and the like - essentially benign items that anti virus apps don't care about.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Hi -
Just to add with Allan , You will have a record of these scans to show results -
Malwarebytes has a tab at the top listed as LOGS and your scan results are kept there, while S.A.S. has View Scan Logs listed at the bottom.

Thanks -

#4 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for your reply,,,Yes I learned the hard way about trying to run multiple virus apps. I was only intending to run Avira, but will surely take your advice and stick with MSE. ....Thanks a lot, Much appreciated...Jin Ed,,,,,,I thought I knew how to add attachments, but guess not,,,I did not see where....Thanks again...

SuperAntiSpyware findings

Adware.Tracking Cookie
pluckit.demandmedia.com [ C:\USERS\JETT\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\G2DX0229.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]
1a-do-not-track-plus.com [ C:\USERS\JETT\APPDATA\ROAMING\MOZILLA\FIREFOX\PROFILES\G2DX0229.DEFAULT\COOKIES.SQLITE ]

Adware.SoftonicDownloader
C:\USERS\JETT\DESKTOP\IMAGING APPS\EASY CAPTURE\SOFTONICDOWNLOADER_FOR_EASYCAPTURE.EXE

MailWareBytes Findings

Files Detected: 1
C:\Users\Jett\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp4751634.exe (Trojan.Dropper) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

SpyBot Findings

BabyLon.Toolbar

W3i.lQ5.fraud

Toolbar.Facemood

1) You should not use two anti virus apps simultaneously. If you intend to use Avira you should uninstall MSE (though I would keep MSE and forget Avira).

2) SypBot is old school and pretty much worthless. I'd uninstall it. MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware are the current best of breed.

3) Exactly what did your scans reveal? I'm guessing they were tracking cookies and the like - essentially benign items that anti virus apps don't care about.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

C:\Users\Jett\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp4751634.exe (Trojan.Dropper)
BabyLon.Toolbar
W3i.lQ5.fraud
Toolbar.Facemood
Remember to always Check for updates prior to any scan, but you seem to be OK now :)

These should have cleaned out any problems as long as they were all removed -
S.A.S only removed the Tracking Cookies related to some bits (nothing)

Any other problems, please always post back -

Thank You -

#6 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Thanks,,,I am at ease now ,,,,Could I ask if there is a tutorial for using forum and where it might be. I need to learn to use attachments and the correct way to do things....regards...Jim Ed Feel free to message me if it is not cool to ask here...Thanks again....

C:\Users\Jett\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp4751634.exe (Trojan.Dropper)
BabyLon.Toolbar
W3i.lQ5.fraud
Toolbar.Facemood
Remember to always Check for updates prior to any scan, but you seem to be OK now :)

These should have cleaned out any problems as long as they were all removed -
S.A.S only removed the Tracking Cookies related to some bits (nothing)

Any other problems, please always post back -

Thank You -

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Thanks,,,I am at ease now ,,,,Could I ask if there is a tutorial for using forum and where it might be. I need to learn to use attachments and the correct way to do things....regards...Jim Ed Feel free to message me if it is not cool to ask here...Thanks again....

Here's a few links to get you started. Welcome to BC!

Bleeping Computer Welcome Guide
How to use the Bleeping Computer Discussion Forums
New User Orientation
Bleeping Computer Tutorials
Read the forum rules found here.

Edited by Union_Thug, 31 July 2012 - 09:51 PM.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Hi -
Just one item (it may be in Union_Thugs links already but ........
When you reply to an answer, it is always better to use the ADD REPLY Tab rather than the Quote Tab unless you refer to one specific item.

All the added large quotes in a topic can make the answers a bit hard to find at times -

Thanks / Welcome and come back whenever - :)

#9 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:02 AM

Thanks for the replies and links. I will read and hopefully learn.... Much appreciated....Jim Ed

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:10 AM

One other thing. Many of the forums/sub-forms have "Pinned" topics at the top with various topics that contain a wealth of information which you can read through at any time.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#11 Jim-Ed

Jim-Ed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:46 AM

Thanks, I am trying to wrap my little brain around some of these as I go. Very much appreciate all replies and help....Jim Ed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users