Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD loop

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jellybean_po420

jellybean_po420

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

It's been a while since I've posted in here searching for help but I think my computer finally bit the dust. :rip:

I have a 21 month old son who thinks it's funny to hard shut down my computer by pushing the pretty blue lit button on my tower. :angry: Yesterday he had done it at least 6 times, seemed like everytime I turned around he was back getting into my computer.

Anyway, I had gotten a blue screen yesterday, it tried to restart and gave me the options like starting in safe mode, safe mode with networking, starting normally, etc... I started in safe mode with networking, didn't see any problems with my normal programs I use starting up so I re-started normally and all was fine up until about midnight or so last night when I shut it down for the night.

This morning I was on the computer doing my normal routine online, left the room for 2 seconds, he had turned it off again. I turned it back on as normal, blue screen is back and relentless. :exclame: I have no option to start in safe mode, pressing F11 goes right to the screen that reads "WINDOWS ERROR RECOVERY" at the top and my only options are "LAUNCH STARTUP REPAIR (recommended)" and "START WINDOWS NORMALLY". Selecting repair I get a screen that says to insert recovery discs and restart computer. Selecting start normally I get the windows screen for about 5 seconds trying to get to password screen to log on then the screen kind of flickers a bit and blue screen comes up and doesn't stay long enough for me to read the code at the bottom and does crash dump and something else(though I did take a picture on my cell to get the code as I've been through this a long time ago on my old XP system). My disc drive quit on me roughly 6 months after buying the computer (won't read anything but recognizes it and opens/shuts) and before 1 year warranty was up with HP and they claim it was already up, so I've just been living without it for almost 2 years now. But I can't use my recovery discs without a functioning disc drive now.

I ran the diagnostics option at start up and everything came back passing.

Tried the boot menu and disabled the CD/DVD drive, still nothing different.

I can't access the BIOS screen to try to boot myself, nor can I get into the recovery menu to advanced options to access recovery partition.

:question: Please help, I no longer know what other options I have to fix this and I'm thinking from all the hard shut downs it definitely damaged something. :busy:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Hi.

My name is Debbie. Mod Edit: Rmoved redundant data reflected in signature - Hamluis.

I am very sorry to hear about various problems with your computer, As the Hardware diagnostics passed then we can assume that there should be no Hardware failure. I would suggest you to do flea power for that remove the power cord from your Computer and disconnect any third party component attached to this system, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the Computer. This clears your RAM and is like hardware reset. After this Boot your computer in "safe mode".
IF still nothing works out then try do clean Operating system Installation which will erase all the data from your system and which might fix this issue.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 08:51 PM.
Edit - Hamluis.

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

#3 jellybean_po420

jellybean_po420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

I tried the unplugging everything and holding power button then re-plugging and trying to boot again, nothing has changed. As for the clean operating installation I am unsure how to do this as none of the windows stuff will run, I can't even get into the system restore or recovery menus. And because of no disc drive I can't do recovery that way either. Also, I don't want to loose all my photos, videos and music on my system. I have all my kids pictures in the hard drive, the music is replacible but VERY time consuming...

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:44 AM

IF still nothing works out then try do clean Operating system Installation which will erase all the data from your system and which might fix this issue.

Please ignore the rep from Dell as this is a last resort operation, and they only deal with quick Dell fixes, and not repairs -
Can you please list the Make and if known Model of the computer
My disc drive quit on me roughly 6 months after buying the computer << I assume that you mean the CD Drive unit ?? If not please tell me.
You can (in most cases) purchase a CD unit usually fairly cheaply to match your computer if this is what you mean.

Do you have another Home computer, or are you currently posting this from a work computer now.

Thank You -

#5 jellybean_po420

jellybean_po420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

I am on my laptop, thank god I invested in one as well or I'd be completely lost right now. I have all the desktop information post on my profile, but it is an HP p6257c. And yes I mean the CD/DVD drive, it's actually a super-multi drive to be exact. It won't read any discs put in, but opens and closes and the computer acknowledges it's there, but uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers did nothing. The problem is with replacing it, I am really completely broke and just barely getting by, $50 roughly is ALOT to dish out right now being on unemployment. I'd like to just get into fix the problem preventing windows from starting, without spending any money. I know it's possible, just need to know how to do it. I had a similar problem with my dinosaur of a computer about 4 years ago and got it up and running until I got the one I have now.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

Hello,

I did take a picture on my cell to get the code as I've been through this a long time ago on my old XP system

Would you be able to post the blue screen code?

Please try this:
Turn the computer on and continually tap the F8 key (once a second).
  • Are you able to get to the Advanced Boot Options Menu?
  • If so, Is there a "Repair Your Computer" option on that menu?

Regards,
Brooks

#7 jellybean_po420

jellybean_po420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

Sorry it's been a couple days, had no time to check-in, try anything new and reply. I thought I posted the pic as an attachment in the first post so I'll try it again with this reply. I will try the F8 thing now and let you know how it works. Attached File  blue loop screen.jpg   134.01KB   4 downloads

#8 jellybean_po420

jellybean_po420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Trying F8 and "Repair Computer" I got the same screen that windows failed to start and the steps read 1. insert Windows installation disc and restart computer, 2. choose language and 3. click repair your computer. Status: 0xc0000225 Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

I will try with the other options in that menu as I was able to start in safe mode the first time I got the blue screen and it worked normally after that, as mentioned in first comment.

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hi jellybean_po420,

At the outside chance that you can access safe mode, run Windows Check Disk program:

• Double click on the "My Computer" icon on your desktop or in your Start Menu.
  • Right click on your system drive, usually C:, and click "Properties."
  • Select "Tools" tab and under "Error checking" click "Check now."
  • Make sure that both boxes are checked then click "Start."

Posted Image
  • Click "Schedule disk check" then reboot your computer. If we are lucky, the chkdsk will start before the BSOD.
  • Check Disk will progress through 5 stages, can take several hours to complete, and may appear to "freeze" at times. It should not be interrupted.
  • The computer will try to load into normal Windows when the Check Disk has completed.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 jellybean_po420

jellybean_po420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

No luck with any of the options on the F8 menu, appeared to really try in Debugging mode (advanced), but then failed yet again.

I also tried doing memory reset again, but removing 1 of the RAM sticks before re-booting to see if maybe one of those were failing. I tried this with each of the 4 sticks, and even moved them into other slots in hopes that if it weren't the sticks themselves, maybe the slots, no luck there either.

I still do have an extended warranty/service plan in effect until February 2013, but the problem I am having now is the fact that when they come out on August 9th (Thursday) I am afraid that when they finally replace the disc drive and the recovery discs still do not work to get it up and running after that replacement, they will completely replace my hard drive, thus losing all of my 5 children's photos, all my music and all documents.

Now I need to know, since the computer is still not working and nothing seems to be helping, how do I do a data extraction from the hard drive to maybe my laptop or another back-up. I regularly do back-ups in the system itself, but there is only one hard drive in the computer, just partitioned.

My next question is, theoretically, if I were to get a new hard drive myself and install along with current with the new hard drive running as master and current one as slave, is it possible it would start up and run? Or is this maybe an operating system failure so it won't do much good?

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:48 AM

Hello,

I still do have an extended warranty/service plan in effect until February 2013

That is good in terms of hardware replacement.

I am afraid that when they finally replace the disc drive and the recovery discs still do not work to get it up and running after that replacement, they will completely replace my hard drive, thus losing all of my 5 children's photos, all my music and all documents.

Option 1:
Your present, ailing hard drive could be attached as a slave drive on another desktop computer. If the drive is still readable, you would be able to rescue your photos, etc.
(Important note: I don't know how strict your warranty is, but opening the computer tower case may void that warranty.) This option may best wait until after the warranty visit.

Option 2:
If you have or can borrow a USB Flash drive (the larger the better) and your computer can boot from a USB device (it should be able to), you can create a bootable flash drive using a Linux Live Distro. This should allow you to access your ailing drive and copy any important documents, photos, etc. to the flash drive.

The following is that procedure should you wish to try (it is much simpler than it looks).

What you will need:
Another computer with internet connection and a USB Flash drive (the larger the better for data rescue) or external USB drive large enough to rescue all of your documents.

Start by downloading Lucid Puppy Linux (132 MB) from here or here.

Next, download rufus from here.
  • Insert the USB flash drive into the computer, then double click on rufus_vx.x..exe to start the program.
  • Under Device, make sure that the correct drive letter is chosen for your flash drive.
  • Click on the Posted Image icon (bottom right) and navigate to the lupu-528.005.iso file, click on it and select Open.
  • Click Start to create the bootable flash drive. Accept the WARNING that all data on the USB dive will be destroyed.
  • Exit the program by clicking Close when it reports Done at the bottom.
Insert the flash drive into the ailing computer, set the computer to boot from the USB flash drive first. At computer startup, if you continually press the F9 key, a Boot Menu should appear. Choose the USB device.

• Boot the computer with the newly created Flash drive.
  • Puppy Linux is a "Live Distro" which means that it runs outside of the windows operating system that is on your computer.
  • Puppy should progress and run automatically. When the desktop loads, click "OK" at the Personal Settings screen.
  • If presented with the Simple Network Setup screen, just close (x).
  • Note the icons, bottom left, above the Menu button. They represent each drive on your computer. Plug in your "rescue" USB Flash drive if you haven't already. An additional flash drive icon will soon appear.

Posted Image
  • Unlike Windows, in Puppy you only have to mouse click once on an icon to open it.
  • Find your system hard drive by exploring the hard drive icons ("hda" or "sda").
  • WINDOWS XP - Click once on your hard drive. Go to "My Documents" folder by clicking "Documents and Settings," then "<YourUserName>." You will see the "My Documents" folder.
  • WINDOWS Vista and 7 - Click once on your hard drive. Go to "My Documents" folder by clicking "Users," then "<YourUserName>." You will see the "My Documents" folder.
  • Note: use the Posted Image at the top left of the screen to go back up a directory.
  • Click once on your "rescue" USB drive. If your bootable Linux Distro USB drive is large enough, create a new folder (suggestion: My Backup) into which to copy your data. Now arrange the two screens by dragging them using the top, title bar so that both are visible; one on top of the other. Each window can be made smaller by positioning your mouse either on the top or right side of each window.

Posted Image
  • Drag the desired folders or files into the USB drive and release. Click "Copy." Do the same for any other folders or files that are important. (Note: My Documents folder could be very large and exceed the capacity of your USB flash drive. File copying may have to be performed sequentially)
  • When the Flash drive is full, you can right mouse click on the Desktop Flash Drive icon and select "Dismount." Remove Flash drive and copy files to another computer. Re-insert Flash drive into unbootable system to recover additional files.
  • To "Exit" Puppy Linux, click "Menu," "Shutdown," and "Reboot." You will be presented with a screen asking to save any personal settings. Arrow over to "Do Not Save" and press <Enter>. The system will reboot.

If you can rescue your data with this Flash drive technique, we may be able to run further diagnostics via USB.

Let us know how you make out.

Regards,
Brooks

#12 jellybean_po420

jellybean_po420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:18 PM

OK, I did the downloads and booted from USB, but when the program loads I only have a white/gray sliver at the top of the screen of the program, the rest of the screen is black, so I can't see any of the options to actually do anything. I tried resetting my moitor thinking maybe that had something to do with it and nothing changed. It went through like a diagnostic type test in the beginning, loaded necessary drivers, etc. but I can't do anything once that stops and the program loads due to not being able to see what I'm doing on the screen. Any other USB boot options?

Also, pressing F9 takes me to diagnostic tests, which again ALL passed successfully, so unlike what tech support tried telling me on the phone yesterday when calling on my warranty service plan, it is NOT a hard drive/hardware problem. I think it is most likely software problems resulting from my son doing hard shut downs and restarts and it was probably in the middle of windows updates. But that's just my guess.

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Hello,

I only have a white/gray sliver at the top of the screen of the program, the rest of the screen is black

I'm on the road for a few days so I don't have access to Puppy Linux. There may be some options when Puppy first loads to change screen resolutions. Look when it first loads for a key to press.

We know that at least your computer can boot from a USB flash drive. If you have no luck with Puppy Linux, let's try to run a check disk on your hard drive.

How to run "chkdsk /f" from a USB Flash drive using noahdfear's NTBR_CD:

On a computer with internet access, download "NTBR_CD.exe" by noahdfear and UNetbootin - Universal Netbook Installer.
  • Double click on NTBR_CD.exe to extract the files. Open the "NTBR_CD" folder to locate the NTBR_CD.iso file.
  • Insert the USB Flash drive into the computer and note it's "drive letter."
  • Run the unetbootin-windows-xxx.exe program and click on "Diskimage" near the bottom of the screen.
  • Browse for the NTBR_CD.iso file and then set the "Drive" letter to that of your USB Flash drive.
  • Click "OK to start the file copy. Click "Exit" when done."
  • Boot the ailing computer with the newly bootable USB Flash drive. (Make sure you boot from USB drive first; usually by pressing F9, for the Boot Menu)
  • Select <BootCD> at the prompt, then "Press any key to continue."
  • Press <Enter> for default keyboard. You should now be at the Tool options screen.
  • Type 5 to go to "Command Prompt", and press <ENTER>.
  • At the X:\>, type: tools\ntfs4dos\chkdsk, then press <ENTER>.
  • You will be prompted (in German) to press Enter. Press <ENTER> to start the check disk utility.
  • Check Disk will check all attached drives and attempt to correct any errors. Please make a note of any errors found or corrections made.
  • When it completes type "menu" and press <ENTER> to return to the tools menu.
  • Type 6 and press <ENTER> to quit, then Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. Does Windows start normally?
Let us know.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 jellybean_po420

jellybean_po420
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:43 AM

No, windows didn't start normally and I am attaching a pic of the screen when the test was run.

I am going to try the puppy again and see if I can change the screen resolution in the beginning of running the program to see if I can access that way. I'd like to get this resolved as much as possible before Thursday so any and all help is appreciated. So far, it appears it wants to work, then crashes, keeping my fingers crossed everytime... Thanks again so far!Attached File  2012-08-06 12_30_35.jpg   93.91KB   3 downloads

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hi,

Causeway Error 09: Unrecoverable Exception. Program Terminated.

Possible cause: One or more partitions on the system contain file system corruption but of course that is why we wish to run chkdsk in the first place.

If Puppy Linux doesn't work for you, try xPUD:

Please follow this link to xPUD .
  • Click the USB tab and follow directions to download the file, insert USB drive, then execute the file.
  • Rename the isolinux.cfg file on your USB drive to isolinux.OLD
  • Restart the ailing computer with the bootable flash drive (press F9 for the Boot Menu).
  • When xPud loads you will see a "Welcome to xPUD" screen.
  • Click "File" from left menu and under "File System" click the triangle next to "mnt" and find your system hard drive (hda or sda). Note: you will see your flash drive there also (sbd1).
  • You can navigate to your "My Documents" folder by clicking "Users," "<your user name>, "My Documents."
  • Copy the folder/files you wish to save by right mouse clicking and "Save," then pasting them into the flash drive (same as windows).
  • To "Exit" xPUD, click "HOME" from left menu, "Power Off," and "Restart."

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users