Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with hard drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 x-raided

x-raided

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:04 PM

ok here is my problem.

last week i got a virus on my Asus K53E . i was able to clean out the virus but out of nowhere the computer shut down and will not boot up. so i put the hard drive from my old Acer Aspire 5532 laptop into my current Asus and the computer works and all aside from a few problem.

After installing the new hard drive there were some drivers missing, the network, ehternet driver, etc...
i was able to download and install the network driver allowing me to access the internet. there are a few drivers still missing that i dont really care about. the problem is the USB drivers. they are missing and i dont know where to download them or anything.
in another forum i was told that its not going to work because of the different hard drive in the laptop. if this is the case then why does the network driver work? please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:25 PM

Hi,

the problem is the USB drivers. they are missing and i dont know where to download them or anything.

You could try here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K53E/#download. Select your operating system.

I assume that you had Windows 7 on both laptops. For stability, I would install all appropriate drivers for the newer system.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 x-raided

x-raided
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:54 PM

Hi,

the problem is the USB drivers. they are missing and i dont know where to download them or anything.

You could try here: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K53E/#download. Select your operating system.

I assume that you had Windows 7 on both laptops. For stability, I would install all appropriate drivers for the newer system.

i installed that driver. still nothing.
here is the exact thing im looking for...

"Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller"
next to that it has a yellow exclamation point.
when i click on that, under device status is says
"Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37)"

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

What happens when you right click on it in Device Manager and select update driver from internet?

The newer computer has usb 3.0 ports. Do they work if you insert a flash drive?

Did you update the chipset drivers?

Regards,
Brooks

#5 x-raided

x-raided
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

What happens when you right click on it in Device Manager and select update driver from internet?

The newer computer has usb 3.0 ports. Do they work if you insert a flash drive?

Did you update the chipset drivers?

when i update it, it says they are already up to date.

no putting a flashdrive also will not work.

dont think i have updated those though how do i do that?

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

To install the chipset drivers go to the download link: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K53E/#download, enter your operating system, arrow down to chipset, and download the installer.

in another forum i was told that its not going to work because of the different hard drive in the laptop.

This is a distinct possibility. You may experience many qirks and problems by switching hard drives.

You have a nice Asus K53E laptop. If you didn't receive (or make) any recovery media with the computer, contact Asus regarding replacement installation disks.

Edited by Artrooks, 02 August 2012 - 11:28 AM.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 x-raided

x-raided
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

To install the chipset drivers go to the download link: http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Versatile_Performance/K53E/#download, enter your operating system, arrow down to chipset, and download the installer.

in another forum i was told that its not going to work because of the different hard drive in the laptop.

This is a distinct possibility. You may experience many qirks and problems by switching hard drives.

You have a nice Asus K53E laptop. If you didn't receive (or make) any recovery media with the computer, contact Asus regarding replacement installation disks.

i installed the chipset, dont think it worked. although it did change the name of the driver to

"Intel®6 Series/c200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D"
but it still have the yellow exclamation point.

so with the problem the old hard drive has would this CD your talking about just completely restore it? cause as of right now it will not boot up. not in safe mode or anything. no start up repair, nothing..

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Hi,

so with the problem the old hard drive has would this CD your talking about just completely restore it? cause as of right now it will not boot up. not in safe mode or anything. no start up repair, nothing..

I may have misunderstood your original post. My understanding was that the drive for the Asus K53E, died, as in mechanical failure. You then removed a hard drive from an older laptop and have that old hard drive functioning in the Asus K53E. If the original Asus K53E hard drive is still functional but will not boot properly due to malware, there may be a viable option; the hidden recovery partition on that hard drive. Here is that procedure (Method One).

If the original Asus K53E hard drive is truely mechanically dead, then you woud need to obtain recovery media (DVDs) from Asus.

Beware that recovery disks are frequently images of the original installation and as such the hard drive capacity (GBs) of the the drive presently in the Asus K53E has to be the same size or larger than the original Asus K53E drive.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 x-raided

x-raided
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hi,

I may have misunderstood your original post. My understanding was that the drive for the Asus K53E, died, as in mechanical failure. You then removed a hard drive from an older laptop and have that old hard drive functioning in the Asus K53E. If the original Asus K53E hard drive is still functional but will not boot properly due to malware, there may be a viable option; the hidden recovery partition on that hard drive. Here is that procedure (Method One).

If the original Asus K53E hard drive is truely mechanically dead, then you woud need to obtain recovery media (DVDs) from Asus.

Beware that recovery disks are frequently images of the original installation and as such the hard drive capacity (GBs) of the the drive presently in the Asus K53E has to be the same size or larger than the original Asus K53E drive.

yes you have it right. when you say the hard drive may be "mechanically dead" im not sure what you mean. the old hard drive it will start but it will freeze while booting up.

you said the hard drive in the laptop would have to be the same capacity as the original. i know that the hard drive im using now is about 100 GB less than the original one, could that be the problem?

also anything having to do with a CD is not an option for me, the disc drive has been broken for some time now.

would you recommend just buying a replacement hard drive same as the original? or could there be a way to fix the old hard drive without using and CD?

once again thank you for your help Artrooks.

Edited by x-raided, 05 August 2012 - 07:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users