Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

error 0x80071A91

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 larry999

larry999

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:41 AM

I simply want to change the backup schedule, but I get this error message instead:

"Transaction support within the specified resource manager is not started or was shut down due to an error 0x80071A91."

Immediately before this message began appearing, I ran a manual file backup (including a system image) which apparently completed successfully. Before that, I deleted the previous backups and system image to make room for the new ones.

I tried the Windows 7 Help suggestion to reset the File System Resource Manager (command> fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\) but this does not help.

The computer is a Gateway DX 4822 with a Intel® Core ™ 2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66 GHz 2.67 GHz with a 64 bit OS running Windows 7 Home Premium,

Larry999

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

Hi,
My name is Debbie.

I would suggest you to refer to the below link and use the steps provided in the “Let me fix it myself“ section and check if this helps you resolve the issue –
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939399
Hope this helps. Let us know the results

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 08:43 PM.
Replaced short links with actual, and removed spammy content. ~ OB

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

#3 larry999

larry999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

I tried the fix (again) with no success. (The fix is the same as the one I tried before, mentioned below.)

Larry999

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

I'm grasping at straws here, but did you try rebooting the computer to see if that resolved the problem?

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

Hi Larry -
A quick trawl of the net seems to indicate that many people are not achieving success using the fsutil command for the problem you are experiencing.
That seems to work better with Vista systems -

Most of this is from Microsoft Support for Windows 7 -
First, your error (shut down due to an error 0x80071A91) is indicative of file corruption. This issue occurs if the Windows file system transaction log is corrupted.
The Windows file system uses the transaction log to recover system transactions when a file error occurs.

Have you tried System Repair? It may be a good starting point.
System Repair Disc - Create from Seven-Forums

Otherwise (or also) I would say a chkdsk /r Plus a sfc /scannow is required to check your system -
Run a Disk Check on your C: (if that is your main drive letter) drive in Windows
•Click Start and open (double click) Computer
Right-click on C: and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
•Mark the boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer
•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys or turn power off so that it is allowed to finish
This can take from 45 to 90 minutes, so make a coffee or find another job to do -

With sfc /scannow , go Start > Programs > Accessories and Right click Command Prompt > Select Run as Administrator -
Type sfc /scannow (note the space between c and / ) Click on Enter and it will run on average from 10 to 20 minutes -

Thank You -
Edited for spelling only -

Edited by noknojon, 04 August 2012 - 10:29 PM.

#6 Rh2013

Rh2013

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:32 AM

Hi N,
I followed your instructions above re chkdsk and sfc scannow in trying to find a solution to error 0x80071a91 which does not allow me to backup. The result of sfc /scannow is the following message: "windows resource protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log For example c:windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log".

So what's next?
Thanks a lot.
RH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users