Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PLS !!! suggest a good future proof psu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kapi

kapi

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

Hey pls suggest me a good psu which i can use for my system around 40-50$
the config is

cpu AMD Phenome X2 550 black edition 3.1 ghz

MOBO Asus M2N68-Am plus

Kingston 2gb ddr2 ram

GPU Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT 512 mb ram

Screen resolution 1600x900

I need a psu that i can use in the future too.
I just intend to upgrade my gpu (not intending to sli , overclock) and ram in the future

how about
corsair vx430v2 and corsair vx500v2 ?????

all suggestions of other brands are welcome too
thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:29 AM

In that price range, I only found the CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 that I liked, but that's only 430W. You might be able to get away with that in the future but it's no guarantee... so if I wanted to future proof my self, I wouldn't get it.

Newegg has this XCLIO Goodpower 550W power supply that seems good, but I honestly don't know much about that brand. If I wanted to future proof I'd probably get something around this power range.

If you really want to future proof yourself then save up more money for a better power supply that's Seasonic or Corsair. Cooler Master is pretty good brand too since that's what I upgraded my old Corsair PSU to and I haven't had any problems with it since I bought it. There are definitely other good brands out there as well, but these are the main ones that I personally look at when buying.

Edited by nesto1000, 31 July 2012 - 10:32 AM.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:01 AM

You might want to take a look at:

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator - http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

PSU Roundup Performance, Price, Efficiency Mainstream PSUs Up To 700W - Tom's Hardware - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-review,2043.html

Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator - http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-Min Power Supply Calculator - http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalculator/PSCalculator.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Louis

#4 Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:54 AM

I just intend to upgrade my gpu

Well, that's a big issue. Today's graphics solutions are often the most power hungry device in our systems. You need to decide what graphics solution you might buy in the future, then buy your PSU (using the eXtreme calc) based on that.

I like Corsair, Antecs, and Seasonic but as noted there are many good brands - but many to avoid too. In any case, get a PSU that is 80+ Certified as that means it achieves high efficiency ratings across a variety of realistic loads - an important capability when powering high-speed digital electronics, and something not easily achieved without a good design and the use of higher quality parts.

So your first step is to determine what your future needs will be, then buy to support that. When it comes to quality supplies, buying too much power hurts nothing but your initial purchase budget. That is, if your computer needs 300 watts, the PSU will only provide 300 watts and will only draw from the wall 300 watts (plus another 45-60W wasted in the form of heat). That's regardless if the PSU is a 650W model or an 850.

Buying too little now will cost you more in the end if you have to buy another PSU to support the new GPU.

In any case, I would upgrade your RAM before upgrading your graphics. 2Gb is not enough these days and if you upgrade to 4G or more (if you have 64-bit Windows), you may have enough PSU horsepower with your current supply to support it. In most cases, you get more bang for your money when upgrading RAM.

kIbxonF.gif Bill (AFE7Ret)
Freedom is NOT Free!
fl3leAE.gifWindows and Devices for IT, 2007 - 2018
Heat is the bane of all electronics!
───────────────────────

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users