Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Accept License Agreement With F8 Key

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paisley

Paisley

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:57 PM

I have a new computer that I need to reformat with the proper operating software (XP Pro, an older version that has never failed me) The version on the machine right now is not running things properly and won't install certain updates (unverified perhaps?)
This new machine is foreign territory to me as it has sata drive and is 64 bit. As far as I know, this is all that sets it apart, for the most part, from the rest of my computers. It's as state of the art as I could put out for :thumbsup:
I've never had a problem installing this XP Pro disc on any other of the computers so I don't see it as the problem at this point.
Here's the deal...Computer reboots with disc in, I press any key to boot from the disc, Windows does it's thing, I'm asked what I want to do, I press enter, it continues in a normal fashion up until the license agreement. I can't get past here. I have the choices of f8=accept, esc=do not agree, and next page. My f8 does nothing. If I press esc, I'm exiting the install right away. Scrolling down, to read the agreement, and then pressing f8, doesn't change anything either (as it sometimes does on web pages) Finally, out of frustration, I believe I've covered every key across the board :flowers:
This machine won't do things the other slower, more out of date ones will. Is this another of those things? Do I see a trip to the builder of this box in my future?
Any info would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to get this done at home without having to take it in. I'm usually successful, but this ones got me stumped.

Thanx for your time and help :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:03 PM

Look at your keyboard and see if there is a button for F Lock on it.

On mine it is to the left of the escape key but it may be in a different place on yours if you have it.

Press it once when your F8 key isn't operating.

By the way, the version of Win XP Pro is different for the 64 Bit processors and the drivers for Sata drives may have to be added manually before the install:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/default.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 09 March 2006 - 03:10 PM.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:04 PM

Plug in a different keyboard and try again.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Paisley

Paisley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:54 PM

Thanx for the "f" lock idea. Found one on the other end of the keyboard and it wasn't lit up so maybe it'll work now. The other keyboard idea was already tried but I see that one has the lock off too, same type of keyboard. I'll have to do some checking on this idea now. I figured there would be an issue with the sata and the 64bit jazz. Thanx again to both of you for your ideas :thumbsup:

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:04 PM

Please keep us posted, Paisley
I recently had to call MS about a Licensing Issue myself.
They squared it away, I still ponder the ins & outs though.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 07:31 AM

Thanx again to both of you for your ideas

You are completely welcome. As usual, Enthusiast is on to it!

Just an aside about troubleshooting problems with computers: Start with the obvious, and start where the problem lies. In other words, if there is a problem with a key on the keyboard not responding, try a different keyboard, or check the settings on the keyboard, etc, before moving on to more complex reasons as to why the key is not responding.

I used to repair X-ray equipment, and my employer taught me that if a light bulb is not working, start with checking the bulb itself. It wouldn't make much sense to start pulling wiring out of the wall and replace it "just in case", as it could simply be a burned out bulb that was causing the issue. So start with the bulb, then check to see if there is power to the bulb, then test the switch, the breaker, etc, starting with the source of the problem and working back.

Computers can be tough to troubleshoot sometimes because they are so complex, usually for every symptom there are multiple causes. But again, start with the obvious.

Class dismissed. :thumbsup:

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 10 March 2006 - 07:36 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 Paisley

Paisley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:14 PM

Hi, me again :cool:

Yes the broken light bulb theory. Works all the time...unless you test with another broken light bulb! :thumbsup: (For me, the second bulb would've been the second keyboard I tested without the "f" locked :inlove:

I haven't tried to reformat again yet, but now that I may be able to reinstall my XP disc, I'm concerned with the fact that this machine is different from the rest of my computers (sata drive and 64bit) If I continue with the formatting, assuming the f8 key will now let me accept the license agreement, once it's completely updated and such, will it work properly on this machine? I've just gotten used to the older machines and their issues. Any ideas on what I might encounter? Do I need a newer copy of XP for a smooth install? Just throw whatever you can think of at me.

As for the keyboard issue, I can't believe I've been using one for over five years and had never noticed the "f lock" :flowers: That's what happens when schools don't teach keyboarding!

Thanx for all the brain pickin' allowed on this site :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users