Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error code 0x80070424 Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are disabled

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 buttafly75

buttafly75

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hello. I am experiencing trouble with my HP Windows 7 64Bit laptop. I noticed some changes back in December but thought it was because I received a new modem/router from ATT. I am always being redirected when I click on a link or have adware pop up. I use Google Chrome and installed an AdBlocker but it doesn't help. Also, I run spybot and CCleaner each week and SuperAntispyware and Uniblue registry booster everyday.

When I click on Window Firewall, I get the following message:
Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings error code 0x80070424

I ran the Fix it tools, but it sent me to an online forum for more help. From there I found out that my Window Defender and Windows Security Essentials were also not working. I was able to install WSE but I am getting the same error code for Window Defender.

Windows Security Essentials ran and found some issues and said it needed to restart to clear out the issues. However, during the restart, it tells me that it has encounter a problem and must reboot.

On the forum, I read that I am most likely infected with a root kit virus. I have a folder called system64 C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM64 and a file called consrv.dll C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONSRV.DLLI. On another site, they asked for me to run Malwarebytes,OLT,TDSSKiller, and MBRCheck. This programs ran but the WSE popped up and rebooted my computer again, which puts me back to where I started.

I went back to the forum and was redirected here. I tried to follow the Preparation Guide but ran into issues. I was able to run the Defogger, but could not open the DDS. The page opens for the download, but the the download does not start.

No matter what I try to do, WSE pops up and tells me that it has found new issue and needs to restart. However, it always run into an issue and has to reboot from a restore point. So anything that I try to do prior to the restart is deleted doing the reboot.

I have been trying for the last two days to fix this. Could somebody please help me? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:35 AM

On the forum, I read that I am most likely infected with a root kit virus. I have a folder called system64 C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM64 and a file called consrv.dll C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONSRV.DLLI.

Download

aswMBR

Launch it, allow it to download latest Avast! virus definitions
Click the "Scan" button to start scan.After scan finishes,click on Save log

Post the log results here

Edited by narenxp, 31 July 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#3 buttafly75

buttafly75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hi Narenxp!!!

Thank you for your quick response. If I am not mistaken, you were one of the ones helping everyone on the Microsoft forum. Thank you for trying to help me.

Okay, I launched and ran aswMBR. It did fine for almost an hour. However and unfortunately, my whole computer froze up. It wouldn't let me do anything. I was watching the scan and it just stopped. I couldn't save the log file or anything.

This time my computer ran the Startup Repair and restore three times. It took almost an hour before I was able to log back in. I want to mention that while trying to back up my computer yesterday, it froze up almost at the end of the back up. I have a lot of documents, I don't want to lose that is on my computer.

The startup repair menu only started popping up after I installed the Windows Security Essentials. I wonder if it has anything to do with my computer now freezing up.

What would you like me to do now? Would you like for me to try the aswMer again?

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Read the guide here on preparing logs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

and create a topic here

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

Good luck

#5 buttafly75

buttafly75
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

Thank you. I am going there to post now.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users