Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Sleep/Powed Down/Reset on Toshiba laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alexanderudler

alexanderudler

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:29 AM

Hi, I have a random shutting down problem with my 2-years old Toshiba Satellite A665-S6050 laptop. It started with randomly Sleed mode and Hard Shut Down without any warning. It looks like somebody pressed on power button... Last week it started to appear more recently and now sometime my Laptop can not even start up. Computer switch itself off just 5 seconds after I switch it on.

My conclusion was that a problem is with power on/off module on the mother board. I have disassembled everything: RAM, HD, monitor, CD, keyboard, speakers, media buttons, mouse, external connectors and power button harness as well. Remained just motherboard (with CPU, GPU, cooling unit, ventilator, BIOS battery) and external power supply. I make short shorting on connector of power button to power it on, but nothing new - after 5 seconds it switchs itself off like power button is still kept pressed.

I was suggested to run Combofix tool to eliminate the software problem, but nothing wrong were found there. There is a link to Virus Removal forum, where I have started a treatment: My link

Is any idea how to fix or bypass this issue? Any suggestion will be appreciated!

Edited by alexanderudler, 31 July 2012 - 04:45 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Danda123_*

Guest_Danda123_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:50 AM

Could be some capacitors going bad; i'm 99 percent sure; usually if they don't hold a charge then the laptop will typically run out of power, or go in a power saving mode. Over time, capacitors' efficiency goes down. I would replace all capacitor with solid state ones. I would check Newark.com or Jameco.com for supplies, and get someone, or yourself (like me), to solder those babies on. Make sure you use lead free solder, or unless you know that it is leaded solder. The thing with new-age motherboards is that it is just better to replace all the capacitors. It is hard to troubleshoot electrically!

Note i am also having this problem!

#3 Guest_Danda123_*

Guest_Danda123_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

It could also be a faulty power switch button. Take the laptop apart and locate the power strip button to turn on the laptop. Remove it, reposition it, and put the lappy back together. See if that does anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users