Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot install ActiveX components AFTER Resetting I.E.9

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Big_Z

Big_Z

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

I reset I.E.9 completely to Default by using Tools/Internet Options/
Advanced tab/Reset button. I did not select the "Delete Personal Settings"
box. I then re-started I.E.9 as instructed.

When I clicked on the appropriate button on the webpage for the
installation of the ActiveX necessary to use the online scanner
PandaActiveScan2.0, and the one needed for BitDefender's Quickscan,
absolutely nothing happened. In particular, the I.E.9 yellow-colored box
with the "install" button did not appear. When I did a test by downloading
a file from a different webpage, the I.E.9 yellow box with the "save"
button did appear.

Deleting my Browsing History did not solve the problem.

Please recommend a fix. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 _deepa

_deepa

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hi,

My name is Deepa. According to the help page for IE9, this latest browser was updated to block all ActiveX (flash) content, when enabled (by default). And works with “Tracking Protection" if used optionally. I can now leave ActiveX Filtering enabled! To allow flash and other content to work on a specific site: make sure to enable "AF" first. With "AF" enabled (as described), the Active /Full View is blocked and replaced by the new IE9 faint yellow activity bar and prompts users to take action on attachments. For those sites with no flash content, the tiny (blue-enabled /grey-disabled mode) IE9 "filter" address bar button icon will not appear. Since there is nothing for ActiveX Filtering to block or allow, and has no effect on those web sites. I would also like to tell you that ActiveX controls and web browser add-ons are small programs that allow websites to provide content such as videos. They can also be used to collect information from your computer, damage information on your computer, install software on your computer without your consent, or allow someone else to control your computer remotely. ActiveX Filtering prevents websites from installing and using these programs.
To turn on ActiveX Filtering

Click to open Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, point to Safety, and then click ActiveX Filtering.

You can turn off Tracking Protection or ActiveX Filtering to show content on specific websites that you trust. To change Tracking Protection or ActiveX Filtering options for specific websites

Click to open Internet Explorer.

Navigate to a website.

Click the filter button in the Address bar, and then turn off or turn on available filtering options for the website

For further help please reply.

Thanks and Regards
Deepa_R

Edited by Orange Blossom, 11 August 2012 - 06:43 AM.
Removed spammy content

#3 Big_Z

Big_Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:44 PM

Aug. 1st

Hello, Deepa

Thanks for your detailed reply. I have a deep science background, and I have
used Windows 98 through Windows XP (my last browser being I.E.6 [six])
with no problems at all. But I find Windows 9 and its partner-in-crime I.E.9
to be illogical, non-intuitive, and a constant irritant. This business about
Active X Filtering, Tracking Protection, and blocking things by default
is Greek to me. Frankly, I cannot understand half of your explanation.
The topics "Active X Filtering" and "Tracking Protection" do not even appear
in my Start > Help resource. I received my Lenovo computer new
in February 2012 with Windows 7, 64-bit.

Notwithstanding, I have tried to follow your instructions.

The current (i.e. default) relevant state of my Tools DROP-DOWN BOX is:
1. Tracking Protection = not ticked
2. Active X Filtering = not ticked
(3. Smart Screen Filter was activated by me after I had completed
the I.E.9 reset procedure a few days ago as per Microsoft's instructions)
(4. Protected Mode is enabled in Internet Options/Security)

I presume that the term "AF" in the preamble of your reply
means "Active X Filtering" !?

The term "Safety" does not appear in my Tools drop-down box.

I put a checkmark (tick mark) beside Active Filtering. I then closed and
re-opened the browser. I then went to the Panda and Bitdefender
"online anti-virus scanner" webpages, but no yellow box (nor any other
activity) appeared. The website did not install the mandatory Active X,
of course.

I then disabled Smart Screen Filter and Protected Mode, but this made no
difference.

If I have mis-interpreted any of your terms or instructions, then please
let me know. If not, do you have any further suggestions ?

(Incidentally, the Bitdefender webpage does not have the "filter" icon, whereas the
the Panda webpage has a grey one [a circle with a diagonal line inside of it]).

I have an ASSOCIATED ISSUE with I.E.9's handling of Active X installations from
Panda and Bitdefender (the only 2 sites that I have tried this at). Prior to
resetting I.E.9, the browser was able (apparently) to install these Active Xs.
However, when I asked I.E.9 to show me the Digital Signature-related information,
the I.E. information box displayed the Active X file names with the pre-fix [1]
and the suffix [1]. The Panda and Bitdef. webpages said that the filenames were
as2stubie.cab and qsax.cab, respectively. I.E.9's yellow box said the same. But
the I.E.9 digital signature-related box called them [1]as2stubie.cab[1] and
[1]qsax.cab[1]. Because of the discrepancy, I did not proceed with the
installation. IS THIS "NAME CHANGE" SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN ???
I posted this question in about 6 different well-known computer/internet forums,
including Answers.Microsoft.com, but I did not get any answer.

Thanks a million for your patience.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:26 AM

But I find Windows 9 and its partner-in-crime I.E.9 to be illogical,

through Windows XP (my last browser being I.E.6 [six]) << Please note that I.E.6 has not been used for several years now, even with XP
Hello -
I must assume that you mean Windows 7 (Not 9) and the now upgraded Internet Explorer 9 to be your problem. Windows 8 has not yet been fully released.

You seen to be relating your problems to Online Scans and their operation - Do you have a current problem with your computer ??
When you attempted to load the Online scans did you first Disable your own Antivirus program ? And may I ask what Antivirus program you normally use ?

Thank You -

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 04:59 AM

Hi again-
I have looked about for all the options from many of the places that should help and here they are >>>

Internet Explorer 9 "ActiveX Filtering" - Turn On or Off - Windows 7 From Windows Help and Support -
How do I enable ActiveX on my browser? | Yahoo! Mail Help General info From Yahoo
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378 << To reset IE 9 to default settings

As a final idea - Install I.E.8 on Windows 7

Thank You -

#6 Big_Z

Big_Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

Aug. 2

To NOKNOJON:

Thanks for considering my problem. I realize that when someone with a problem writes a post that is verbose (like mine), it takes some time for responders to read it and to digest the contents. However, I cannot think of any other effective way
to present a problem that is not straightforward. Thank-you very much for your patience.

RE.: YOUR FIRST REPLY (time-stamped 04:26) - - Yes, I have windows 7, 64-bit, with I.E. 9. It is the original (i.e. not a re-installation) O.S. on a new Lenovo laptop. - - The inability of I.E. 9 to respond in any way to my attempts to install the
Acive x components only began after I did the procedure called "REPAIR INTERNET EXPLORER". In my previous submissions to this thread, I called it "resetting" I.E. The procedure is described at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378, and the article is called "How to Reinstall or Repair I.E.". It is accomplished via I.E. Tools/Advanced tab/click reset button. The Start/Help/Search = "resetting internet explorer" resource on my computer says, in part, "By resetting Internet Explorer settings, you return I.E. to the state it was in when it was first installed on your computer." I tried this because someone at the Bitdefender Forum suggested it as a possible remedy to the issue of the "added [1] prefix and suffix that I have already described in this current BleepingComputer thread.

Before this "repair-reset", done on July 26, 2012, I.E. 9 worked perfectly, except for the prefix/suffix issue. After the "repair-reset", the only dysfunction that I have observed so far is I.E.'s inability to respond to requests to install ActiveXs.

Regarding other problems on my computer, on July 4, 2012, I tried to return the computer to an earlier SYSTEM RESTORE POINT. This failed for all of the dates that I tried. When I tried to use a restore point while the computer was in SAFE MODE,
it seemed to work, but I immediately noticed that all of the software programs that I had installed since buying the computer had become corrupted. They no longer work and will not uninstall. These programs are Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D
and G DATA anti-virus/firewall (although the firewall seems to still work). I.E.9 continued to work without any noticeable dysfunction. Firefox settings have changed, so I will not try to use it to connect to the internet. Another consequence is that
I cannot install new software programs, namely: Opera browser (fails to install); Chrome browser (installs but with an alert that there are alot of errors, so I decided not to use it); Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool (normally it temporarily installs, then automatically un-installs itself when it is finished running. But now, it will not install).

RE.: YOUR SECOND REPLY (time-stamped 05;59) - - Thanks for taking the time to find these resources. I will read them to educate myself; and to see if they can help me solve this specific problem. - - i will then report back in this Forum
thread.

Thans a million !

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

They no longer work and will not uninstall. These programs are Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D

Hello -
Please note that I post from Australia so your time links will not match mine. EG. Posted Yesterday, 08:59 PM for my second post :)

I am in no way an expert on Sptbot S&D, however I can give you a method to Remove, and if you wish, Reinstall Malwarebytes program.

SOLUTION: Follow these procedures as outlined below to Uninstall and Reinstall a current version of Malwarebytes aka MBAM
First remove your copy of MBAM from Control Panel > Programs and Features list, (right click > Delete)
•Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe to remove all installed traces.
•It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
•After the computer restarts, Temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from This Download Link
If you qualify for the Free (home use) version, be sure to tick Both Boxes to accept Terms and Conditions of use
The following mainly applies to the Pro / Paid version of the program
Note: If using the Pro (paid) version, you will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent
Launch the program and set the Protection and activation. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.
Ask me if you wish to add exclusions to your Antivirus program, as I have a link to Most settings -

Please tell me if you still have the removal problem - Spybot S&D "should" be a right click > Delete from Programs and Features (Formerly Add / Remove in XP)

Thank You -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users