Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

another windows defender problem

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 blade1

blade1

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:29 AM

ok I have windows vista 32 home premium (this is a laptop) and I have Malware-bites, and Microsoft Security Essentials.....

windows defender error 0x800106ba <--- thats the error... I googled it.... nothing works D:

is Security essentials or malware-bites blocking it? and if it is, can I make it un-lock it so I can access parts of my pc (such as the "change start programs" menu) without uninstalling them?

and no Windows Defender doesn't seem to be shown on the add/remove programs list, oddly

oh, and bonus question... why does my "themes" service keep crashing itself? O_o

*edited to fix a typo*... hate my using small keys w/ big hands -.-"

Edited by blade1, 31 July 2012 - 01:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

Windows Defender is a huge waste of time and resources. Go to START - RUN - services.msc
Set the Windows Defender Service to DISABLED. Reboot. Let's see if you still have problems.

#3 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:36 PM

is Security essentials or malware-bites blocking it?

Microsoft Security Essentials, when installed on Vista, will disable Windows Defender, automatically. By "running both programs simultaneously, your system may experience performance degradation and other problems." http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/windows-defender-and-microsoft-security-essentials/5309cb8d-02e1-40e8-974f-0dcedb9ab9fd.

Regards,
Brooks

#4 blade1

blade1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:41 PM

hate to say it but your only partly right.... I disabled defender, rebooted.... PC seems to run a bit smother, but I still cant change my start up programs :(

and I have like 20 things starting up with windows so that gets troublesome -.-"

*edit*

I go to Control panel, click "change start up programs" and get a popup.. it reads

Windows defender wont provide Protection against harmful or potentially unwanted software and it wont send you alerts because it is off"

only 2 options "close" and "turn on and open windows defender"

Edited by blade1, 01 August 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

Did you disable the Windows Defender service?

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

blade1,

(FWIW): On my Windows 7 machine, I run Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). MSE, when installed, changes the Windows Defender service from "started" - Automatic" to "stopped - Manual." This way Windows Defender is not active because it is not needed with MSE installed. Note that it could still be started manually.

Regarding limiting startup items, I prefer a free, portable program such as Microsoft's autoruns. You can uncheck any autorun entry to disable it. Should you change your mind, just re-check it. Simple and no error messages.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:28 AM

FWIW: The typical startup entries, using Autoruns...are on the Logon tab.

I suggest that you limit your search for startups to that tab and do not uncheck anything that is related to Microsoft.

Louis

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Yeah, I'm a big Autoruns fan - but it really wasn't designed with the casual or new user in mind. I generally don't recommend it for that very reason. Instead I usually suggest Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel to manage startup programs and services.msc for management of services.

Edited by Allan, 02 August 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:15 PM

hamluis said: 8/2/2012, 11:28 AM
FWIW: The typical startup entries, using Autoruns...are on the Logon tab.

Good point, Louis.

Allan said: 8/22/2012, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I'm a big Autoruns fan - but it really wasn't designed with the casual or new user in mind. I generally don't recommend it for that very reason. Instead I usually suggest Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel to manage startup programs and services.msc for management of services.

Also a good program, Allan. I will keep that in mind.

Regards,
Brooks

#10 blade1

blade1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

allright... Defender disabled... still cant use "start up programs" from control panel, but I used Autorun to disable some things, all non-windows/Microsoft items..... and now I cant access google.... wtf o_o

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,119 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

<<..... and now I cant access google.... wtf o_o>>

Onscreen error message? Exactly what happens when you try to "access Google"? You have no other problems using the browser to go to various websites?

Louis

#12 blade1

blade1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

the error is the default error Firefox gives to websites.... "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.com" this is the first time its ever happens to me... and all other websites including yahoo, bing, ect ect work just fine, google isnt known to have "down time" ether O_o

*edit*
*sigh* ok google now works, I had to go to Command Prompt, use "netsh int ip reset" and clear my FF catch.....

my "themes" service still crashes when ever I reboot my laptop but I'm assuming that will be fixed when/if there is another vista patch, if not, I can love with it until my usual browsing habits force me to update the laptop to windows 7

thnx ppl, now I all I need to do is w8 for my other thread to give me some responses (hardware question this time heh)

Edited by blade1, 03 August 2012 - 02:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users