Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook Questions

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hello,

I want to send someone a message on Facebook. I went to this persons account and clicked on message. A very small box popped up for me to type the message in. I don't see anyway to preview the message before I send it. It will be very lengthy and I am sure I will make grammatical and spelling errors. I clicked the chat feature and the same little box showed up.

I have XP Home, IE-8, Sp3 on this PC.

Is there way to type the message in some program on my computer so I can check things over and than copy and paste it in the message box on Facebook ? I have never used Microsoft Office Or Word but I thinking there may be a format I can use.

I tried notepad but it cuts off words and is hard to follow.

Thanks for any help can you give me,

Dennis :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:18 PM

You can use Word if you have it installed. If not, install Open Office and use Writer. Open Office is free and available here
http://www.openoffice.org/

Another alternative is WordPad. It's a cross between Notepad and Word. This would be perfect for you. WordPad is included as a part of Windows and can be accessed from Start menu/AllPrograms/Accessories.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 July 2012 - 03:27 PM.

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the reply !

Do you know if I put spaces between paragraphs if they will still be there when I past the message on Facebook or will it jumble all together ?

I wonder why they don't have a preview option on Facebook ? It Makes no sense to me. Oh well.

Thanks,

Dennis

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:35 PM

I just sent a test message to my daughter via Facebook.

To maintain the paragraphs you will have to DOUBLE space in whatever editor you use.

If you do a single space paragraph in the editor there will be no paragraphs in the message.

*thank you to my daughter for being the guinea pig with my experiment so I could give you an answer*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 July 2012 - 03:36 PM.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:39 PM

OK, so if I Use Word Pad I should double space between paragraphs and the same goes for Office Word, Etc; right ?

Once I copy than all I have to do is go the the message box on Facebook and click paste ?

Thanks for the help. I am very dumb regarding this stuff.

Dennis

Edited by Dennis H, 30 July 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:50 PM

Alternatively, if it is for the one person only, why not send them an email?

Then it will retain your formatting and you can see the whole thing

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:55 PM

Not knowing does not make you dumb. As Radio Shack says "you got questions, we got answers".

I don't know what you would have to do in Word since I do not have that installed on my computer.

I did try it with Open Office Writer and SINGLE space maintained the paragraphs.

If you need to know what to do with Word, I suggest you do a test with Word. Compose the first 2 paragraphs using single space. Paste them into the message box and see if the paragraphs are there. If not, double space the rest of them.

#8 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:01 PM

I can't find the E-mail address. I had it but misplaced it. Facebook assigns e-mails but when I clicked on the e-mail option the same little box opened. This person does not have their own E-mail listed on Facebook.

I suppose I could always open my e-mail type the message and cut and paste it. That should work as well as Word Or Word Pad, right ?

Thanks,

Dennis

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:04 PM

I would think so.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thanks again for your help Queen-Evie and rotor123 !

I downloaded Open Office and used Open Office Writer. It was very simple to use and it worked perfect !

Dennis :)

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:18 PM

Thank you for letting us know you were successful. :thumbup2:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users