Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop ac adapter error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:40 PM

i keep getting a window error (a lot) talking saying my plug cannot be determined and to get a dell 65w ac adapter or it won't charge but this is the ac adapter it was packaged with.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:46 PM

Dell AC Adapters use three wires.
+ voltage
- Voltage
and a third wire that tells the laptop what adapter you have plugged in. In your case either the part of the adapter has gone bad that tells the laptop what it is or the circuit in the laptop gas gone bad.

Easy test is to plug in a real Dell 65watt adapter and see if the message goes away.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hi,
My name is Debbie.

After this update the BIOS of your computer.
-- Go to http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection
-- Put in your Service Tag and choose the Operating System.
-- Select the Bios and download the latest Version of Bios
-- Flash the Bios and check.

Check the Ac Adaptor status in BIOS.

Run the Hardware Diagnostics Test (PSA)
-- Restart your computer and hit F12 on the Dell Logo Screen a couple of times.
-- It Boots to the One Time Boot Menu.
-- Select the Option Diagnostics and hit Enter.
-- Check for the error.

Remove the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord from your Dell notebook, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the laptop. This clears your RAM and is like hardware reset. Replace the battery and charger/ac adapter/power cord and turn your Dell notebook on.

Boot in "safe mode". As it starts up press F8, the computer asks you if you'd like to start in safe mode. Highlight "safe mode" and press enter. See if your Dell notebook works normal.

If the problem persists, did you check if it could be your Dell notebook power cord or power source problem? Insufficient power might cause error messages that are misleading. Take the battery out and power on your notebook with the charger only. Make sure your notebook power jack and charger plug tip are securely connected. Did you notice the power jack loose?

Please reply in case you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 08:41 PM.
Replaced short links with actual, and removed spammy content. ~ OB

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

#4 Mooglebooboo

Mooglebooboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:17 PM

my bios is up to date because when i was helped to fix my wifi my bios was updated that fixed the problem why the wifi wasnt working. When I plugin my tip of plug it didn't always turn on, but i didn't worry about it because it didn't happen a lot, but I'm starting to notice it's happening a lot. When I replace plugs all i know is finding one that is compatible. So thanks for the info. I just had to make sure thank you it wasn't just my computer. I have a stepdad that can replace a voltage plug so might that work, but we don't have a 65 voltage available so I'll just order one.

Edited by Mooglebooboo, 30 July 2012 - 07:31 PM.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

It isn't 65 volts it is a 65 watt adapter.

When I plugin my tip of plug it didn't always turn on, but i didn't worry about it because it didn't happen a lot, but I'm starting to notice it's happening a lot.

This could be a indication that the DC-In socket in the laptop is either defective or has broken solder connections. The easy way to tell is to plug in a good Dell 65Watt adapter and see if that cures the problem. If it does then the adapter needs to be replaced. If it still has connection problems then the problem is inside the laptop.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users