Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble setting up old router as access point

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 luie620

luie620

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi guys!

I recently bought a MediaLink wireless N router (MWN-WAPR150N) and after setting it up, I realized the WiFi range isn't as strong as my old SMC Barricade N router (SMCWGBR14-N). Seeing as I passed the return period to send back the MediaLink, I figured I might as well use it.

While searching around the net, I found a few articles showing how to use an old router as an access point. I'm horrible when it comes to networking but the steps looked pretty simple and I gave it a shot.

Here's the steps I took:

• Plugged in PC to old SMC router.
  • Logged into SMC and changed the SSID, network password, and security type to match the existing WiFi network.
  • Turned off DHCP and UPnP on SMC.
  • The MediaLink's default IP address is 192.168.0.1 and the default IP on the SMC was 192.168.2.1 so I changed it to 192.168.0.2 and let the router reboot itself.
  • Unplugged cable from PC and connected SMC to MediaLink LAN to LAN
Now after all of this, I was able to see the network but couldn't tell if the SMC was set up correctly. Then when I tried to input its new IP (192.168.0.2) rather than it connecting to the router, it just hangs and never connects. I also tried the old IP (192.168.2.1) just in case and still couldn't connect. Since I couldn't figure out the SMC's IP address to log in, I reset it and tried the steps once again, but still no luck.

I'm guessing the problem lies within the new IP address I assigned but I'm not sure what to do next.

Also on a side question, does the access point always have to be connected via LAN or can it connect to the primary router wirelessly?

Thanks,

Luis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

What was the reason for the new router purchase is the old one Bad or are you ? Are you trying to use the old router as an Access point by connecting it to the Network through Ethernet and then using its wireless instead of the new router? Or are you setting up a Bridge where the old router connects to the New router via wireless then allows computers to connect to It via wireless? If you are configuring for an Access point the Medialink has instructions on how to set it up as an access point in its manual.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

At first, I was having trouble with my old router and after buying another I realized it was just an old ethernet cable that was going bad. I had waited too long to return the new one. Also, I've had my SMC router for almost 6 years now and I heard routers don't last that long. Since it still works, I wanted to use it to extend the wifi signal throughout the house.

Basically, what I'm trying to do is use my old router to extend the wifi signal to an area of the house which has bad signal. I saw this guide to set it all up. Now you got me thinking I might be going for the wrong thing :wacko:

Excuse me if I come off as confusing as my networking skills are horrible!

Thanks,

Luis

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:50 PM

Go to page 48(router to router) http://medialinkproducts.com/docs/03-2012/MWN-WAPR150N_User_Guide_11.8.pdf

Edit : Save the PDF manual in your hard drive just in case you work on it offline. To save, go to the lower-middle of the screen and point your mouse to the floppy icon and save it on your desktop.

Edited by jhayz, 06 August 2012 - 06:57 PM.

Tekken

#5 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:22 PM

Sorry I forgot to mention I checked out the manual and those steps were the same thing I tried, the only difference was I used the MediaLink as the primary router and the SMC as the secondary router. My problem came after assigning the new IP address to the SMC router. After changing it, I wasn't able to connect to the admin page anymore. It wouldn't give me an error or anything, but it would just keep trying to connect to the router.

I'll try to do it again tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks for all the advice,

Luis

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:40 PM

After asigning the new address to the router you need to change make sure the address on your computer is on the same subnet (it should be) and you are connecting to the Correct Ip address and not the old one.

Chad Mockensturm 

#7 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:58 PM

How do I know it's on the same subnet?

I definitely connected to the correct IP address. I tried the old one just to make sure it changed and that gave me an error right away. The new address just stalls.

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

If you change the Router's Ip Address to 192.168.2.1 your computer will be on the 192.168.1.1 network (provided you started the setup from scratch). Are you able to ping the router's Ip addres you asigned? Go to the command prompt and type Ping 192.168.X.X (what ever you asigned) if you receive a response. RETYPE the address in your browser and try the Gui again.

Chad Mockensturm 

#9 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2012 - 01:12 PM

Ok so I tried everything all over again and I got it to work this time!

I think the main thing I didn't do the last time was restart everything and start them up one by one.

The signal seems to reach all the areas I needed it to. Is there any tool I can download to verify the signal strength? Also, is there any way I can tell which router I'm connected to since the both have the same SSID?

The only thing, I received an IP conflict error on my PC. I closed it but don't notice anything wrong. Would that have an effect on my WiFi?

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:37 AM

Try using this http://www.passmark.com/products/wirelessmonitor.htm

Tekken

#11 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2012 - 10:19 AM

I ran the Wireless Monitor and am able to connect to both routers. Now I still have a few more questions:

Should both routers run on the same channel?
Are my devices supposed to switch between the router with the best signal automatically or is there something else I must do?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for your answers!

Edited by luie620, 08 August 2012 - 10:19 AM.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2012 - 02:23 AM

I ran the Wireless Monitor and am able to connect to both routers.

I believe you should only use one, dedicated wireless access point and that is the SMC router.

Tekken

#13 luie620

luie620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

I meant to say I can connect to both routers, one at a time. Like I said before, I'm just using the extra access point to get a better wifi signal where the primary router has low signal.

What I had in mind was that my devices would automatically switch between the routers and connect to the one with the best wifi signal. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

You are right of what you meant by just extending the wireless signal around the house using the old SMC router with same SSID, channel and password.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users