Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UPSs, Power strips, etc

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 kinhunter25

kinhunter25

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Hi all,

New to asking questions on Bleeping Computer Forums but have gotten lots of help from them in the past.

I happen to be using Windows 7 on my computers, but the question really applies to computers and plugging them into the house electricity in general. I just need a short, clear "lesson" on hooking everything up with the equipment I have.

1. I am SO short of electrical outlets only having one wall plug available (only two things could be plugged in).
2. I want to use my UPS but am very limited to the number of slots I can use due to the oversized plugs some computer devices have.
3. I could just use a power strip and not the UPS but I also lose connectivity often enough I'm leery of doing that.

Basically, two questions:

1. Can I gang hook up the power strip and UPS and if so which one is plugged directly into the HOUSE CURRENT? If that can be done and it is the power strip that hooks directly into the wall, I could plug things like the light into the power strip - what else could safely go to OTHER THAN the surge protectors in the UPS? The wall plug is under the desk so I would have to crawl under the desk to plug and unplug things.
2. If I get a UPS with more plug ins, which pieces of computer parts need to be plugged into the surge protector part of the UPS? Besides the computer itself, I have a laptop that I'd like to occasionally plug in and use simultaneously, a printer, a scanner, and external DVD-R/RW , speakers, a monitor, a powered hub, and a light - I think that's all.

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 30 July 2012 - 02:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users