Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Derosion

Derosion

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hey guys, so yesterday night my Photoshop stopped working. Every time I would run it, it would give me a stop working message and I would have to exit the program.

This only happened recently, so I decided to do a system restore.
I set my system restore to July 23/2012.

I let it do it's thing and apply the system restore.

On startup, I logged in and my screen was completely black with only my cursor. I was confused so I launched task manager and tried to load explorer, hoping that would do something.

It didn't and then I understood that my explorer was corrupt, but I don't understand how, my computer was completely fine from July 23rd to now.
Typically, like anyone else, I restarted my computer once again and this time, it gave me a different result. The windows logo would load and after it disappears, the screen would remain black, with again, my cursor only. I restarted my computer several times and it would remain black after the windows logo loaded.

I restarted my computer and launched it in safe mode, this time. After safe mode loaded, it gave me the message "Input not supported".
The input I'm using is VGA and I am completely confused as to how it's not supported when it was working for the last 3 months.

It annoys me how I can't do a simple system restore without something messing up.

Any help would be appreciated :)!

Edit: My monitor is Acer, if that's of any help.

Edited by Derosion, 30 July 2012 - 11:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Hi.

My name is Debbie.

I am very sorry to hear about various problems with your computer, I would suggest you to first run the Hardware Diagnostics on your computer which might be very helpful in this case. If you don’t get any error code, then remove the power cord from your Computer and disconnect any third party component attached to this system, press and hold the power button for 20 seconds to discharge any residual current inside the Computer. This clears your RAM and is like hardware reset. After this Boot your computer in "safe mode". See if your computer works normal in safe mode. Reseat the monitor cable for "Input not supported” issue.

IF still nothing works out then try do clean Operating system Installation which will erase all the data from your system.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 08:38 PM.
Removed dupe content - Hamluis. Removed spammy content. ~ OB

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

#3 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

Hi Derosion

If I had this on my bench and this happened, here is what I would try...

Unplug the computer AND the monitor from the AC so they had no power
Disconnect the cable connecting the monitor to the computer.
Push and hold in the power button on both the monitor and the computer to make sure that all the power is drained out of them
Reconnect the monitor to the computer
Plug the monitor and computer back into the wall or surge protector
Turn on the power on the monitor
Turn on the power on the computer
Boot the computer in normal mode

At this point if you see the Windows splash screen before it goes black, let it sit for like an hour and see if it eventually comes up (I know this sounds crazy but it happens a lot in situations like this).

Let me know what happens.
James

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users