Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Write Protected New Cd-rw & Dvd-rw?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:22 PM

I tried to save some photos onto new CDs and DVDs both RW from folder in My Documents and sending to C drive.
I get the message that these are write protected. Meaning the formatting is missing? No message to say so.
Can anyone resolve this please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

What is the exact message you are getting. It may refer to the images you are trying to burn to disk. In which case right click on the image file and select properties and see what is checked there.

Also if you are using rw cds you may need to format them first. Your authoring software should have an option to do this.

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:34 PM

RW disks need to be formatted before use. I use Nero's InCD to do it. That allows you to drag and drop files and so on. There are other companies that have the software including Adaptec or Roxio. Also, make sure that your DVD's are -RW and not +RW. Many burners cannot handle the +versions.

#4 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for your responses.

I can't remember the exact message - 'The disk is write protected, remove the disk'-nothing else of import - nothing about this disk is unformatted etc etc.

What I am using is the Pinnacle Instant Backup which came with my computer - nothing very sophisticated no doubt but should it not work?

My DVDs are + (I wanted to see if they would work) but I tried CD-RW without success, same message.
In my Windows XP Home Edition: The Complete Ref. page 880 it says Recordable CD-R and RW disks do not need to be formatted!!

If needed how would I format them?

Hope this helps.

Edited by zzzz, 10 March 2006 - 12:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users