Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

License Key Question

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:10 AM

Hello,

I assume this is going to be a legal question more than an actual technical one:

I recently tried to perform an anytime update to Windows Ultimate (from Home Premium) because I wanted to use the language packs feature. For some reason, the update did not complete successfully, or so my computer says.

Despite that, I was still able to install the language packs, that I wanted, and the other Ultimate Features seem to work. The bottom of the login screen indeed says "Windows 7 Ultimate," as well. Then however, when I try to go to Start Menu > Computer > Properties, it still says that I am running Home Premium.

However, the OEM Product Key displayed corresponds to a WIndows Ultimate key, and it says that I am not activated. But when I try to activate, and put in a CD key, neither the original CD key that came with the computer, nor the Ultimate CD key can be registered.

How can I make sure that my copy of windows is Legitimately activated?

Edit: When I go to the Windows online validation site, it says that my copy is indeed genuine.

Edit: If I enter the ULTIMATE code, I get the mesage: "A problem occurred when Windows tried to activate. Error Code 0xC004E003".

When I enter the HOME PREMIUM code, it says that the code (the one on the sticker) can't be used with this version of Windows, then tells me to enter a Home Premium code (even though this computer came with Home Premium).

Edited by Insp. Bumstead, 30 July 2012 - 02:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

Hi -
Where did you get the key that you entered from ??
Did you at any time purchase a windows install CD / DVD, or is this from the sticker on your computer ??

Thank You -
EDIT - Download This Program to be given your installed microsoft Key that you should be able to use .
It looks like a series of 5 X 5 random alphanumeric code nombers -

Edited by noknojon, 30 July 2012 - 03:13 AM.

#3 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:13 AM

Hi -
Where did you get the key that you entered from ??
Did you at any time purchase a windows install CD / DVD, or is this from the sticker on your computer ??

Thank You -

The Key is from the sticker on my computer. The upgrade key was purchased online (with the "anytime upgrade" feature), but neither one seems to be able to activate at the moment.

Edited by Insp. Bumstead, 30 July 2012 - 03:15 AM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:16 AM

Sorry -
I over-posted you with an EDIT - Can you please follow that first and see if it matches -

#5 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:26 AM

Sorry -
I over-posted you with an EDIT - Can you please follow that first and see if it matches -

I was going to post this to you, since strangely, it gives the same key for Ultimate that I tried to enter unsuccessfully. I should mention, though, that this is actually a fresh install of Windows. I was having a few issues before, then bought a bigger hard drive for my laptop. Not sure if Microsoft is getting confused since I didn't deactivate the previous install/upgrade.

Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1
Product Part No.: X00-00000
Installed from 'OEM' media.
Product ID: NNNNN-OEM-NNNNNNN-NNNNN match to CD Key data
CD Key: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Computer Name: LAPTOP-4
Registered Owner: Frank
Registered Organization:

#6 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:11 AM

After a system restore, it appears that Windows is activated. The "ask for genuine microsoft software" label is in the Windows Activation category. However there's a small matter to resolve:

In Computer > Properties it says that I am running Windows Home Premium, elsewhere it says Ultimate:

Posted Image

Is this merely just a cosmetic issue? Or did I get tricked into buying fake upgrade?

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:15 AM

OOps - I had posted but the site went to "clean-up mode", now I need to remember it - :o
but neither one seems to be able to activate at the moment. <<< The only thing that i can think of is this - The license has been registered at some time.
Now M/soft is thinking that you are trying to register a second computer with the same code and this is what is being refuted - - - -

Online upgrades, from what I remember, do not need to be registered, as you need to have an already licensed version to get an upgrade -

I hope this ramble makes sense to you -
EDIT -
Your key should still be the same as Home version -

Edited by noknojon, 30 July 2012 - 04:17 AM.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:23 AM

Extra -
Where did you purchase the Online Upgrade from ??
Ebay / Microsoft / or elsewhere -

#9 Insp. Bumstead

Insp. Bumstead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:34 AM

OOps - I had posted but the site went to "clean-up mode", now I need to remember it - :o
but neither one seems to be able to activate at the moment. <<< The only thing that i can think of is this - The license has been registered at some time.
Now M/soft is thinking that you are trying to register a second computer with the same code and this is what is being refuted - - - -

Online upgrades, from what I remember, do not need to be registered, as you need to have an already licensed version to get an upgrade -

I hope this ramble makes sense to you -
EDIT -
Your key should still be the same as Home version -

I think I know what I did, then. I re-installed Windows, but I forgot to activate it (with the sticker code) before applying the upgrade. However the sticker code would still have been used already, possibly rendering it invalid.

After the System Restore, Windows is telling me I have a legitimate copy, I can still download language packs, use BitLocker, and have access to Media Center, and the Key Finder indicates that I have Ultimate. So do the registry and winver.

It's all confusing to me, but it appears that at least functionally, for the moment, I've got Windows Ultimate, it's just that the "Windows Edition" is being displayed as Home. At the moment, Windows seems to be activated properly.

I got the license code from Microsoft, by the way.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:46 AM

I re-installed Windows, but I forgot to activate it << There is no need to reactivate it if you have just Reinstalled -

Some people reinstall several times, but the license has already been activated from the first install and is then recorded as registered -
This is where M/soft think a key is being used more than once, and ONE activation is all you need -

EXTRA - You do not need to Quote my reply (muddies up a thread) so just Copy / Paste one line if it relates to a reply - Ask me if not sure how -
Just click in the empty Fast Reply box below if it is text reply or use ADD REPLY Tab to post pics and Attachments.

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 30 July 2012 - 04:52 AM.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

Finally this is from M/soft Forum -
The error code 0xC004E003 simply means that the Software Licensing Service reported that license evaluation failed.
Here is what you need to do.
1. Press the WINKEY+R to bring up the Run dialog box.
2. Type SLUI 4 in the box and press OK. This will start the Telephone Activation Wizard.
3. Select your country in the drop down menu and click the Next Button. Follow the instructions on the screen and call the number that is shown there.
Follow the recorded instructions and when the telephone activation fails, stay on the line and an Activation Representative will answer.
Just describe the problem you are experiencing and they will manually activate the system for you.

- End Quote -
EDITED to match B/C forum coding with M/soft coding -
Read the SECOND GREY line HERE and make sure yours do not match -

Edited by noknojon, 30 July 2012 - 05:36 AM.

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool
(download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
Once saved, run the tool.
Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.
Please also state the Version and Edition of Windows quoted on your COA sticker (if you have one) on the case of your machine (or inside the battery compartment), but do NOT quote the Key on the sticker! See Below for examples -
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howtotell/Hardware.aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users