Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erasing Internet Tracks - A Problem?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ally Maypole

Ally Maypole

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:50 AM

Hello all,

Following a hacking attempt, I've brushed up on my security a lot. One thing that was recommended to me was to use an Eraser to overwrite my temporary Internet files.

So, I've sometimes done this, rather than just deleting. For a while, my PC became very unstable, crashing all the time, switching off and on again, and always telling me it had recovered from a serious error! However, I have a suspicion that using an Eraser might have been incidental in crashing my computer: perhaps something else has come out with the files? Since I've stopped erasing, and just deleting, my system has been perfectly stable - 100%. I still use Eraser to get rid of personal financial stuff etc, and that doesn't seem to be a problem.

Any truth in this, I wonder, or am I way off track?

AM
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:44 PM

I would definately stop using that program for the time being - you have no proof that the program is not causing the problems. i don't see the need in overwriting these temporary Internet files, why not just delete them. I recommend that you leave Eraser for know and use a more widely know program that deletes temporary Internet files rather than overwriting. It is free and it is called ATF cleaner.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Under Main choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
If you use Firefox browserClick Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
If you use Opera browserClick Opera at the top and choose: Select All
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu.]

David

#3 Ally Maypole

Ally Maypole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:57 PM

Thanks!

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 06:22 PM

I have used Eraser for over three years, both with ME and XP; I use it constantly in place of sending anything, even non-sensitive material, to the recycle bin. I have never had a problem with the application either not working or crashing my computer.
If it works so that you can erase sensitive data and files, then use it for that purpose alone, and use the Windows delete for the rest.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Ally Maypole

Ally Maypole
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2006 - 01:31 PM

Thanks.

Yes, that's what I tend to do now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users