Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my computer clean now after removing malware?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 smng

smng

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

A few days ago I went on a website that I regularly go on and usually do not have an issue with, but this time apparently was different. The website I went on was irazoo.com (it is one of those search and win sites). When I went on the site my anti-virus software (Norton 360) popped up that it blocked a trojan and few other things.

I immediately scanned my computer with Norton 360, which came up with nothing else. Then scanned it with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which found a trojan and quarantined it on reboot. Re-scanned the computer a few more times with both programs and they did not come up with anything.

A day or two later I go on firefox and search for something in the search bar (google) and get redirected to install a firefox extension (I believe it was called performance cache 1.0) I "x'd" out of it but apparently it was installed anyway, so I disabled it and deleted it. I go back and run scans with Norton 360, which finds nothing and Malwarebytes, which finds a few trojans, which it quarantined. Also ran TDSSKiller which found nothing.

At this point I had a friend who knows a bit more about removing malware than me help out. He ran a few programs, not sure if I remember them all but I will try to list what I remember, Norton 360, Malwarbytes, Spybot Search and destroy, TDSSKiller, RogueKiller and used RKill to close anything running in the backround. I may be missing one or two, not sure. He ran them in both Normal mode and in Safe mode. He made a new hosts file just in case. Re-ran a few of the programs multiple times after rebooting the computer even though they were not coming up with anything, just in case.

Now here I am, I have not had a redirect, the computer does not act weird at all. Scans are still not coming up with anything. But I can't help but wonder if it really is clean now, not that I don't trust myself, my friend or any of the programs we used, but still just want to be 100% sure.

Is there any program I can run that will give me a log to show you that will help determine if the system is really in fact clean now?

Sorry for the wall of text, but thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,488 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:59 PM

To be absolutely certain.. Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run (it may not on a 64 bit system) skip it and move on.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users