Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating a CMS

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

I'm in the process of writing a Content Management System (CMS) that can be "managed" from an accounting system (desktop program) the company I work for created/maintains.

I'm after some ideas of what to do/what not to do from past experience, also what features a CMS should have, I have been looking around at Joomla, Wordpress and Drupal and their themes/plugins/internal functions to get some inspiration and have a pretty long list already, but could always use some more giudence/input!

I have created an API that the CMS and desktop program interface with to exchange data, much similar to the Twitter API, but also took some idea's from Facebook. I have written a shopping cart that interfaces with the SecurePay API for credit card processing and the Australia Post API for calculating shipping costs. Obviously anyone using it for ecommerce will need a SSL certificate etc...

Has anyone ventured into this area before/have any suggestions how I could minimise the lost time "learning"?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:08 PM

This is sort of a broad question. Who is going to be using it? Just you?

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

Who is going to be using it? Just you?

Clients that are currently using our accounting package.

What features would you expect in a CMS/ecommerce system?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

It doesn't matter what I would expect in a CMS because that entirely depends on the context in which it will be used.

Probably one of the most important things to consider is that people are stupid, and you should never ever trust anything they enter into the system. Count on them to type in letters where numbers are supposed to go, numbers where letters are supposed to go, and that some people will type in random stuff just to see if they can break thinks. Once it breaks, how is the system going to recover?, etc.

#5 madelinekim

madelinekim

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:21 AM

Creation of CMS is much helpful. It is very much useful for website design. Security is the main benefits that will after using CMS. Its also enables for scheduling when new content should be added or updated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users