Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Built a computer for a friend, no video, no beep, but has power

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guitarist86

Guitarist86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

Hello, first of all id like to thank everyone looking at this post, ive used this site before and everyone was a really big help (forgot my old username).

i went to tiger direct to help my girlfriends brother get a cheaper computer and i put it all together and it has power but there's no video and it doesn't beep at all so i was thinking DOA processor?

Specs:
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M LX
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR-600 TR2 ATX (600W)
Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1035T
Cooling Fan: just what came with processor for now
Video Card: Nvidia GT 545
HDD: Cant remember exact but WD Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5
Case: Cooler Master SGC-1000-KWN1 Storm Enforcer ATX Mid Tower Case (no spot to plug in usb 3.0 on mobo but he didnt care)
CD/DVD: Samsung SH-222BB/BEBE 22X Internal DVDRW Drive

when i gave it power and was ready to install an OS it powered on but it did not beep, and there was no video at all (tried using video card and on board) also when i opened up the dvd drive it would open but then close once it fully opened. and not sure if it matters when its the only HDD in the case but there was no little clip to set it to master but since its the only drive i assumed it didnt need one anyways.

Edit: tried removing video card and just using onboard.. still the same thing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SevenCipher

SevenCipher

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:22 PM

The hard drive should not matter it should at least post bios regardless of hard drive configuration. The first thing I would do is make sure that both the power connector the processor (4 or 8 pin) is connected, and also the power to the motherboard (24 pin). Due to the fact that you tried using both onboard and dedicated graphics with no separate results, it seems to be an issue with the motherboard and something not properly connected with it, or there's the rare chance that you have defective hardware. One suggestion that I would give is try to locate the Bios chip on your motherboard, if it is one that is socketed to the motherboard (and not wired onto) I would suggest GENTLY pushing it down, in the past I have encountered motherboards where the bios chip was not making full contact and it would not post

EDIT: ignore the suggestion I made about gently pushing on your bios chip, i looked up your MOBO and it has a chip wired to it. Apparently other people have had the same issue you have, Asus answered one of their customers with the following advice:

1. Clear CMOS. Turn off the computer. Turn the switch on the back of the power supply to OFF. On the lower right corner of the motherboard is a jumper marked "CLRTC", move the jumper from positions 1 and 2 to 2 and 3. Wait about 10 seconds, and move the jumper back to positions 1 and 2. Power on the computer.

2. Try to plugging a system speaker to the 4-pin speaker connector (lower right corner) and monitor if any beeps that occur when you turn on the computer.

1 short beep = keyboard issue
1 long beep and 2 short beeps = memory issue
1 long beep and 3 short beeps = VGA issue
1 long beep and 4 short beeps = hardware component issue

3. Try reseating the CPU, memory, and video card.

4. Please make sure to check the power connections, specifically the 24-pin and 8-pin/4-pin. Have you tried using another power supply?

Edited by SevenCipher, 29 July 2012 - 04:28 PM.

#3 Guitarist86

Guitarist86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:46 PM

thanks, reset cmos and still didn't work, took whole computer apart and put it back together.. works now :S something must have been loose somewhere. anyways thank you very much! :)

#4 Guitarist86

Guitarist86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:47 PM

im pretty sure it was the cpu that may not have been in 100% because i checked everything else before taking it all apart

#5 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:38 AM

sounds like memory incompatiablity or wrong power hook up { both will behave exactly as you describe } also 8 gigs is a waste unless you have a 64 bit OS.

Edited by kbit, 01 August 2012 - 01:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users