Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Owwi.job in Scheduled Tasks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zion_2008

zion_2008

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

I'm running an Windows 2003 Small Business Server SP2. My anti virus software is Clamwin which states that some processes are in use and therefore can't be scanned. One of those processes is disturbing me since I can not see any use for it. It is:
"C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\Owwi.job"
When I look in scheduled tasks I do not see this as a scheduled task. Very strange.
I open a command prompt and type the following commands and get the accompanying results.
===============================================================================================
C:\WINDOWS\Tasks>dir /a
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 94C0-D374

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\Tasks

2012-07-29 15:09 <DIR> .
2012-07-29 15:09 <DIR> ..
2012-07-29 10:16 324 Owwi.job
2012-07-22 08:30 206 reboot.job
2012-07-29 15:22 6 SA.DAT
2012-07-29 15:22 32,622 SchedLgU.Txt
4 File(s) 33,158 bytes
2 Dir(s) 20,767,662,080 bytes free

C:\WINDOWS\Tasks>attrib
A SH C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\Owwi.job
A C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\reboot.job
A C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\SA.DAT
A C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\SchedLgU.Txt

C:\WINDOWS\Tasks>attrib /?
Displays or changes file attributes.

ATTRIB [+R | -R] [+A | -A ] [+S | -S] [+H | -H] [drive:][path][filename]
[/S [/D]]

+ Sets an attribute.
- Clears an attribute.
R Read-only file attribute.
A Archive file attribute.
S System file attribute.
H Hidden file attribute.
[drive:][path][filename]
Specifies a file or files for attrib to process.
/S Processes matching files in the current folder
and all subfolders.
/D Processes folders as well.

C:\WINDOWS\Tasks>attrib -H C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\Owwi.job
Not resetting system file - C:\WINDOWS\Tasks\Owwi.job
===============================================================================================
I searched on several places but I can not find any info on this job and also no info on how to unhide this particular file. I saw the utility called BlizBlank but this is not working for this OS. Starting this programm worked, looking up files in the directory C:\Windows\Tasks did show all earlier mentioned files but when trying to anythig else this program end with an error.
So now I'm stuck.
But I really want to know what this Job does and more importantly how to unhide and if necessar remove it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, zion_2008

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

When you have the Scheduled Tasks window open, click on the advanced menu and select View Hidden Tasks. Are you able to see the task then?

As far as what that job is for, I have no idea. Hopefully you will be able to find out once you can view it.

Edited by The_Outkast, 30 July 2012 - 05:03 PM.

#3 zion_2008

zion_2008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:24 AM

Hello The_Outkast,

Thanks for your reply.

I did find this option and put it on but no luck. The task was still not visible.
Yesterday evening I did some intensive searching and one of the things I came across was this page:
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/w2k3/W2K3_unhide.htm

I followed those steps and at last I was able to see this task in Scheduled Tasks as well as under Windows Explorer. Attributes of the file were still the same however so Archive System and Hidden still on Owwi.job.
I looked in the file with (the basic) notepad and found that it was most likely some sort of left over from a virus I was once infected with. But this file itself was harmless although it was still executed at boot time.

To summerize; I renamed the file and rebooted but no effect what so ever. Now I was convinced there was indeed no risk in deleting it so I did and rebooted again.
File is now deleted, no side effects noticed.

Regards, zion_2008

#4 The_Outkast

The_Outkast

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

Thanks for the update. Glad you were able to get it fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users