Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Podcast For New Linux Users

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cgriffin

cgriffin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:43 AM

Hello everyone --

I just wanted to let folks know that I've started a new podcast aimed at new Linux users and computer users that have never tried Linux but are interested in doing so. It's called Linux Reality and the homepage is http://www.linuxreality.com. You can also find the podcast in iTunes for folks that use that software.

Anyway, I have used Linux for about 4+ years and I got a lot of help from great people while I was still finding my way and this little podcast is just my way to give back to the community. The podcast has been embraced by a ton of people so quickly (I am only on my 4th episode) so clearly there is a real need for something like this -- something down to earth, that avoids all the technotalk.

Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think. You can email me or post a comment at the site. Thanks very much!!

Chess Griffin

email address removed to avoid spam bots ~raw

Edited by raw, 09 March 2006 - 12:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:58 PM

Excellent idea and nice podcast. I was glad to hear you mention PCLinuxOS.
This is a rapidly growing distro and don't let the BETA status fool you it is as
complete as any other i've used.
PCLOS desktop in action:
http://linclips.crocusplains.com/index.php?page=clip&id=8

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 cgriffin

cgriffin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:41 PM

Raw - thanks for deleting my email. What was I thinking? :thumbsup:

Thanks also for the comments on the podcast. The response has really been outstanding, both from Windows users and new Linux users. It really does seem like the need is out there for some friendly help for new users.

I am definitely going to recommend PCLinuxOS in addition to a few others. I'm actually pretty familar with Texstar and his work -- I started out on Mandrake 8.1 and used Tex's rpm's for quite awhile. Although I don't use PCLinuxOS myself, I think it's an excellent distribution for new users. I have tested 0.92 and found it to be extremely stable and full-featured, which I would have expected coming from Texstar. He knows his stuff for sure.

Anyway, thanks again for the comment on the podcast. I'm getting a real kick out of doing it and the emails I get from new users definitely makes it worth all the work. If I can convince just a couple of people to give Linux a go then I'll consider the podcast a success.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users