Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran Disk Clean up and Rebooted, Now can't do anything "windows error recov.".. Please help me.....!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 scorer04

scorer04

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hello All,

Do computer problems ever end...? haha. Hopefully one of you guys who has experienced something like this can help me out.

This is what has happened in sequence.

1st. I ran Disk Cleanup
2nd. Restarted Computer

Then when it loads up I get a Windows Error Recovery screen. saying..

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
If Windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, StartUp Repair can help dianose and fix the problem. If power was interrupted during startup, choose Start Windows Normally. if not.. etc. choose Launch Start Up Repair ( Recommended )

Anyhow...

When I choose the first option ( Launch Start up Repair ) , what happens is, it first says Windows is loading files....... Then it will just turn into a black screen with no cursor and nothing on it. Will stay that way until I force reboot once again.

When I choose the second option ( Start Windows Normally ) , when I do this, it moves to the Starting Windows screen that's black with the Microsoft logo, and stays there for a couple minutes until it will eventually Restart itself back to the Windows Error Recovery screen with the 2 options..

These are the two issues, and I have no idea how to start up my computer normally again, which is very frustrating b/c most of my work is on this laptop, and not backed up. I'm really hoping one of you can help me out..!

I'm using a Windows 7, 64bit Laptop

Things to note,
* I cannot restart the computer in safe mode.
* I've read about issues very similar to the ones i'm having for almost a day now, and really have no idea what to do.

If you can offer any input into fixing this issue I would greatly appreciate it..

Thanks a bunch,
Tyler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:32 PM

Tyler,
Is the Windows 7 install media handy? Or at least a repair disk?
If so; boot from the media and run sfc /scannow with administrative rights.
How old is the hard-drive in the machine? Has diagnostics been run to eliminate the possibility of a corrupt drive?

#3 scorer04

scorer04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

When I bought the laptop it never came with a Windows 7 cd. I also never made a Repair disk.

I'm in the process of getting my hands on a Windows 7 disk atm.

Should I do what you said once I do get one? Have you had a similar issue occur before?

Any input would be greatly appreciated,
Tyler

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:43 PM

Since Windows 7 install media may be present in the near future, I would run manufacturer specific diagnostics on the HDD and if the drive comes up clean; install Windows 7 afresh.
I would certainly look for bootable media that will provide the option to transfer files between drives. May not be such a bad idea to get this done first if there are important files to be saved; one never knows about drives.
What is described can be caused by a failing HDD, malware, misconfigured BIOS, recent hardware changes, loose connections and a myriad of other causes....
Start with HD diagnostics.
What is the make/model of the HDD?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:11 PM

Just to be clear...you need to locate either

a. The recovery/restore disks made by your system manufacturer...for your system.

b. A Microsoft Genuine Win 7 DVD. The attempted use of recovery/restore disks provided by a different OEM...will probably not do the job. Downloading an illegal copy of Win 7...carries what I consider a weighted risk of malware, from what I read.

Louis

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hello,

Worth a quick try:
Turn on the computer and start tapping the F8 key in an attempt to get to the Advanced Boot Options Menu.
If successful,
  • Do you have a Repair Your Computer option on the menu?
  • Arrow down to Last Known Good Configuration and press <Enter>. Reboot. Any change?

If no change, then backup any important files: How to Use Puppy Linux to Recover Windows 7 Files When You Can't Boot .

Once you feel comfortable that data has been backed up, troubleshooting can proceed.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:08 AM

I'm using a Windows 7, 64bit Laptop << Can you please list the Maker and the Model if known -

Thank You -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users