Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Pc's, One Mail Account

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mack_Tech

Mack_Tech

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:29 AM

Hi All,

I have a question about my my mail account in Outlook. I have a Dell laptop running XP Pro w/ MS Office 2000 and have a mail account setup in Outlook that was running fine until I hooked up a Compaq Deskpro running Windows 2000 professional w/ MS Office 2003. I configured the Compaq's Outlook to receive e-mail and now the laptop does not recieve e-mail through Outlook, only the Compaq does now. I thought you could have two PC's and recieve e-mail on both at the same time?

Your thoughts? Thanks for the help in advance!
-----Mack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:37 AM

What happens when you try to get your emails on the laptop? Error messages? Can you send email on the laptop?

Could it be that you just emptied your ISP's mailbox when you get mail with the Compaq, and so when you try to download the mail with the laptop it 'doesn't work' because there is no mail to get?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Mack_Tech

Mack_Tech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:42 AM

I am sending mail from a PC from work to my home PC's. The Compaq gets the mail but the laptop does not.
-----Mack

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:49 AM

Set one of them (the one that will access the mail first) not to remove the mail from the server.

What is happening is that you are removing the mail from the server when you download it with whichever computer looks at the mail first.

You can also synchronize the two computers so that they have exactly the same files when you synchronize them everyday. (won't work if you delete mail until you synchronize them)

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:17 AM

Set one of them (the one that will access the mail first) not to remove the mail from the server.

Or perhaps it would be better to set both computers not to remove the mail until a certain time has elapsed. That way you can get all emails to both computers.

Here is how you do that with Outlook 2003 (your other version will be similar, but perhaps not exact):

Open Outlook and go to:
Tools
Email Accounts
View or Change existing accounts
next
Select the email accout in question by clicking on it once
Change
More Settings
Advanced tab
Put a check mark next to: Leave a copy of messages on the server.
Make other settings as needed, for instance, remove email from server after 10 days.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users