Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A good mid-level laptop for MBA Uni student?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

My brother will soon be heading from India to Lambton in Canada for his MBA. So he'll obviously need a laptop - a mid-level one with good battery life and good for casual use. If I am right, he'll most probably be using it mainly just for browsing the web, so a good internet experience will matter the most. He isn't that computer-savvy so he won't love viruses and occasional problems, and I won't love fixing them each time for him. We'll have to keep it within $1000, so I'll also like to look at the cheap options(though I'd not want something which sucks). So I've been considering a chromebook. Is it good enough?

Or are there any other suggestions? I'd love to hear from you all, thanks! :)
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:52 PM

If he's only going to mostly browse the web, any laptop with a Core i3 should be fine.
I'd probably go with an Asus laptop myself...
Are you buying the laptop in India? If so, where are some e-tailors that we can take a look and see what's available in your area?

Edited by nesto1000, 01 August 2012 - 12:04 AM.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#3 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:25 AM

If he's only going to mostly browse the web, any laptop with a Core i3 should be fine.
I'd probably go with an Asus laptop myself...
Are you buying the laptop in India? If so, where are some e-tailors that we can take a look and see what's available in your area?

Nope, he'll probably buy it from Canada, since most laptops would be cheaper there. Also, he won't be only browsing - there will be some occasional casual gaming - maybe even multiplayer FIFA games with me? :)
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#4 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:03 PM

Hmmm... so I assume that your budget is $1000 CAD?

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#5 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

I think something like this should be plenty: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/C0L25AV?HP-Pavilion-dv6t-7000-Select-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC

For the things you've listed, I don't think he would see that much of a performance increase from a "mainstream laptop" ($600-700) and a higher-end one around $1000.

The stock processor (core i5), and 8GB of ram should be plenty. Since you mentioned occasional gaming, I would go with one of the Graphics Card upgrades that the "customize" option on that site offers....Even the most expensive GPU upgrade still puts you below your $1k limit.

For virus protection, I'd recommend something free like AVG or Avast. Or if you want paid then Kaspersky.

There is virtually no difference in USD and CAD. If you look up the current exchange rate, $1000 CAD comes out to $995 USD.

Edited by NpaMA, 01 August 2012 - 09:31 PM.

#6 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:47 AM

Yes.

I think something like this should be plenty: http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/C0L25AV?HP-Pavilion-dv6t-7000-Select-Edition-Entertainment-Notebook-PC

For the things you've listed, I don't think he would see that much of a performance increase from a "mainstream laptop" ($600-700) and a higher-end one around $1000.

The stock processor (core i5), and 8GB of ram should be plenty. Since you mentioned occasional gaming, I would go with one of the Graphics Card upgrades that the "customize" option on that site offers....Even the most expensive GPU upgrade still puts you below your $1k limit.

For virus protection, I'd recommend something free like AVG or Avast. Or if you want paid then Kaspersky.

There is virtually no difference in USD and CAD. If you look up the current exchange rate, $1000 CAD comes out to $995 USD.

The battery life looks good and the specs too. Will I get it for the same price from Canada(more or less)? And what would be better(and cheaper), buying online or offline?

And would I need an SSD? And how much of battery life would it provide with the default?

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 02 August 2012 - 02:51 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#7 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:06 AM

Price will vary for sure depending on where you get it...Either for better or worse. I would recommend just buying it through HP.com if possible, as they normally have better specs compared to retailers. Normally when you buy laptops at retailers such as Walmart or Best Buy (in the US), you get a slightly cheaper price but they normally remove parts such as media card reader.

Here is a link to that laptop model on the Canadian HP website. Surprisingly it seems like the CA site may have slightly better prices overall: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF25a/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-5226230.html?dnr=1

I have not used the laptop personally so I'm only answering this on past experience with similar HP laptops and 6cell batteries. I would expect around 4-5 hours on a stock battery. Under normal use probably around the 4-4.5 range, under very light use (ex: screen dimmed, 1 application open, everything on low power) it would probably be around 5 hours overall. I have never had a stock battery give the 6 hours they're showing on that site, but as I mentioned I haven't used this model personally so it's possible. They also offer 9cell upgrades, aswell.

Also, he will need to judge if an SSD is worth it. For what he'll be using it for, I don't think it's needed. Unless you're someone that is constantly opening files/programs that aren't stored in RAM or need 25 second boot times, an SSD really has no benefit. You also give up alot of storage potential for the price of an SSD and will most likely end up needing a 2nd hard drive either internal or external to store software, images, videos, etc. on.

Edited by NpaMA, 02 August 2012 - 05:09 AM.

#8 TanGersten

TanGersten

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

I would suggest Corei3 or I5 with GPU 1G that would be just enough for him.

#9 TanGersten

TanGersten

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

I came across this article: www.mawista.com/blog/en/top-cheapest-tablets-for-students/ about cheaper laptops for students, I thought that you might take a look since you're only going to use it for MBA studies, and not something that requires higher specifications.

#10 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:18 AM

Price will vary for sure depending on where you get it...Either for better or worse. I would recommend just buying it through HP.com if possible, as they normally have better specs compared to retailers. Normally when you buy laptops at retailers such as Walmart or Best Buy (in the US), you get a slightly cheaper price but they normally remove parts such as media card reader.

Here is a link to that laptop model on the Canadian HP website. Surprisingly it seems like the CA site may have slightly better prices overall: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/ho/WF25a/321957-321957-3329744-64354-64354-5226230.html?dnr=1

I have not used the laptop personally so I'm only answering this on past experience with similar HP laptops and 6cell batteries. I would expect around 4-5 hours on a stock battery. Under normal use probably around the 4-4.5 range, under very light use (ex: screen dimmed, 1 application open, everything on low power) it would probably be around 5 hours overall. I have never had a stock battery give the 6 hours they're showing on that site, but as I mentioned I haven't used this model personally so it's possible. They also offer 9cell upgrades, aswell.

Also, he will need to judge if an SSD is worth it. For what he'll be using it for, I don't think it's needed. Unless you're someone that is constantly opening files/programs that aren't stored in RAM or need 25 second boot times, an SSD really has no benefit. You also give up alot of storage potential for the price of an SSD and will most likely end up needing a 2nd hard drive either internal or external to store software, images, videos, etc. on.

I would suggest Corei3 or I5 with GPU 1G that would be just enough for him.

I came across this article: www.mawista.com/blog/en/top-cheapest-tablets-for-students/ about cheaper laptops for students, I thought that you might take a look since you're only going to use it for MBA studies, and not something that requires higher specifications.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll have a look at all the suggestions and let you guys know. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users