Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GOP Peers Into Voters

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 08:26 AM

On Monday, the Minnesota Republican Party announced that it will send out CD videos on Friday to inform voters about the importance of a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage. It turns out the CD is also being used to add to the GOP voter database. Officials with the Republican Party say certain voter data is being collected by the party. Internet privacy experts say they're concerned that the party isn't telling the viewer that it's collecting the data and worry where the information will end up. by Tom Scheck, Minnesota Public Radio March 1, 2006 St. Paul, Minn. The GOP says they intend to send thousands of the CD-roms to a wide array voters who may be concerned about the issue of gay marriage. The compact discs contain video clips from four of Minnesota's top elected officials. They talk about the cultural dangers of gay marriage, activist judges and why an amendment is needed to keep marriage between one man and one woman... *Your rights to privacy, your choice.~ Scarlett

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:33 PM

I would say there should be some warning or statement that you are giving information and even what information and to whom. Especially since many if not most are just doing so unaware of what they are actually doing. But I also realize then when I am clicking a submit button I am sharing some info by doing so.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 01:39 PM

I agree some sort of disclaimer/statement should be visible to all.
The average person does not realize what happens to their personal info.
They should be able to make an informed decision.

LOL If it came in my mail, I'd probably toss it. ;)
After rendering it useless, just as I do with all those %$#* AOL CD's. LMAO

Edited by Scarlett, 10 March 2006 - 01:40 PM.

Posted Image

#4 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 05:52 PM

Unfortunately, groups and companies rely on the ignorance of the average person to collect this type of data...they have to put a warning on the label (I think its the law), but they try to make is as small as possible so that people won't see it and unwittingly give out their info.

LOL If it came in my mail, I'd probably toss it. ;)
After rendering it useless, just as I do with all those %$#* AOL CD's. LMAO

I HATE those things...my family has a big pile of them at my house...we could probably live off of them :thumbsup: .

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 10 March 2006 - 06:47 PM

:thumbsup: I'm surprised that anyone wanting an amendment like that ( :flowers: ) would have the cranial capacity to even know what a CD is, let alone what to do with it (though I have a few suggestions :trumpet: ).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users