Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ive upgraded my HDD, can I put the original in a Dell?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 r.pwalters

r.pwalters

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

I have an IBM NetVista M42, type 8305 with XP Pro, SP3. @2.39GHz with 1GB ram.

Lets get to it. So sometime or another I discovered IBM's product recovery. If your not familiar with it, being that I wasnt until I used it for the first time, It formats your HDD and installs everything back to factory settings. Now for me the product recovery is a blessing. It allows me to be able to do pretty much anything from a software standpoint, and be able to start fresh if I mess it up.

So a few months ago, I used EASEUS PartitionMaster to straight up copy my primary HDD to my slave, then I swapped them out. I havent used the product recovery on my upgraded drive, but it appears to have been coppied into its own partition as well. Im using the HDD I copied to right now, hitch free, with the original in my closet incase the recovery doesnt work.

Onto the Dell. My mom bought a Dell Optiplex GX60 with XP Home, SP3. @ 2.00GHz with 512MB ram. I realize its going to be a little slower, but compared to my IBM, Its incredibly slow. I believe it desperately needs a clean install. So I went out and bought a new XP Pro CD, thinking I could just wipe the old off and start fresh. The problem with that is that the CD drive doesnt read ANY disk at all. A few months ago I went in and uninstalled the SP3 and updated the drivers, and it read the installation CD. But by the time I left and came back, the guy she bought it from had come back and undone all of my progress.

So my question is, can I put my original thats in my closet, in her Dell and boot it up? I wasnt worried about the cloning I did because it wasnt a change between brands. This is. I think it will work Im just not positive.

I appreciate any feedback I can get on the subject.

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2012 - 04:12 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

What was the model?

In general you can not move a windows installation. It isn't the make of the computer, It is the hardware.

It is way underpowered as regards memory. That computer would run much better if you add 1Gb of memory to it.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:10 PM

<<So I went out and bought a new XP Pro CD, thinking I could just wipe the old off and start fresh. The problem with that is that the CD drive doesnt read ANY disk at all.>>

Sounds to me like a $20 replacement optical drive is what you need.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users