Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ads on Google Search and Gmail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:04 AM

You have opted out but you can opt in at any time.

About personalized ads

With personalized ads, we can improve your ad experience by showing you ads related to websites you visit, recent searches and clicks, or information from your Gmail inbox.

Google tries to show you the most relevant ads, whether or not you're opted in to seeing personalized ads. While we often match ads with specific pages (based on the page content or the search terms you enter), additional information helps us personalize your ads.

Why these ads?

Find out why we showed you these ads when you searched for "NOD32 AntiVirus." Opt in to block specific advertisers' ads if you don't find them helpful.

"Opting out" of personalized ads doesn't block ads? :huh: In order to block personalized ads I have to.... wait for it.... opt in to receiving them in the first place? :unsure:
Who's on first? I don't know... 3rd base :whistle: When did this start, I only noticed this a day or two ago...

Edited by Union_Thug, 28 July 2012 - 04:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:56 PM

Think it started when google stated they would be combining/linking the information of a person's separate google accounts(gmail, google docs, google+ etc).

The Gmelius add-on for Chrome, Firefox and Opera seems to work well at blocking the adds in gmail. At least in Opera, haven't tried it in the others.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:16 PM

>>>Think it started when google stated they would be combining/linking the information of a person's separate google accounts(gmail, google docs, google+ etc).<<<

I believe you're correct. :mellow: I kinda sorta figured out why I started seeing these ads in GMail only a day or two ago. I recently re-installed some VM's (XP, Win 7 & Ubuntu) & in the process of "syncing" Firefox settings between all my devices, somehow AdBlock Plus extension became corrupt--see screenshot linked to below, "options" was totally blank. :blink: I spent a couple hours today resetting & re-tweaking about:config and my sync account, then re-installed AdBlock and all is well...no more ads. :whistle:

>>>The Gmelius add-on for Chrome, Firefox and Opera seems to work well at blocking the adds in gmail. <<<

Thanks for the link, I'm gonna check it out :)

Screenshot

Edited by Union_Thug, 29 July 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Ouch! That didn't look good. Sorry to hear you had to go threw all that, but glad you've gotten it straightened out.

As for Gmelius, it's available at Add-ons.Mozilla too. All I can say is, since I've installed and configured the add-on, I have seen absolutely no adds in GMail :)

As far as opting out of specific adds, not only do you have to wait for and then view the specific adds you want to opt out of :huh: I believe you have a limit of 50 that you're allowed to opt out of :unsure: And if you opt out of the "opt out" feature then you just receive the usual plethora of random adds, none of which can you opt out of :crazy:

#5 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for the Gmelius add-on, I installed it on 2 of my comps, very useful indeed! :thumbup2:

I discovered another piece of the Adblock Plus/ Google ads suddenly showing up mystery... In the process of adding new Firefox browsers (from the VM's I mentioned) and re-doing my config & sync settings I found that even though Firefox saved my Adblock Plus settings & subscriptions it reinstated the "Allow some non-intrusive advertising" option that is enabled by default in new Adblock installations...which of course prominently features Google's as "non-intrusive" :whistle:

Edited by Union_Thug, 30 July 2012 - 04:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users