Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Startup shuts down PC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Group

Group

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

When my printer and anything else connected through the USB ports is turned on and starts it shuts down my computer.
Also I have been unable to copy to the CD,DVD through Windows system or "CD Burner XP"
I ran some updates a while ago including Net Framework 4.5 and I have had this problem since then.
I have run my Av and Spyware programs,with nothing major being found.Just some tracking cookies. Do not where to go next.Would appreciate any help
Kind Regards
FFWanderer

System is XP SP3
Avast AV
Spyware Blaster
Malwarebytes
Superantispyware
COMODO Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

This was posted by Microsoft a few months ago >> Last post on the subject was 10/07/2012 without M/soft adding anything to the last post.
In relation to .NET Framework 4.5
This behavior is by design in .NET Framework 4.5 Beta. The minimum supported operating systems are Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 SP2
and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 - Windows XP is not a supported operating system for the Beta release.
If there is still a problem please uninstall your version of .NET Framework 4.5
.Net Framework 4.0 should be the latest that is currently required on XP SP3.
From My system >>
I have checked my XP SP3 and .NET Framework 4.5 is not installed, or listed as failed to install
On Windows XP SP3, you need to install .NET Framework 3.5 (.NET 2.0 is included) to support your application and .NET Framework 4.0.

Please remove any .NET Framework 4.5 update from your XP SP3 Control Panel > Add / Remove at this time -

Thank You -

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:19 AM

"Supported operating systems: Windows 7, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 8 Beta", http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=28978 .

That means that this could not/would not have appeared as an update for a Win XP system, IMO...either as an optional or critical update.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 28 July 2012 - 09:23 AM.

#4 Group

Group
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:05 AM

When my printer and anything else connected through the USB ports is turned on and starts it shuts down my computer.
Also I have been unable to copy to the CD,DVD through Windows system or "CD Burner XP"
I ran some updates a while ago including Net Framework 4.5 and I have had this problem since then.
I have run my Av and Spyware programs,with nothing major being found.Just some tracking cookies. Do not where to go next.Would appreciate any help
Kind Regards
FFWanderer

System is XP SP3
Avast AV
Spyware Blaster
Malwarebytes
Superantispyware
COMODO Firewall

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.That's just great.
Sorry My Fault.
All of the above was related to Net Framework 4.0, NOT Net Framework 4.5 as I said above.Don't know where I got the 4.5 from?
I have uninstalled Net Framework 4.0 with Revo Uninstaller, to see if that would help my printer and copying issues and I have made things worse. Nothing in the Program box or shortcuts on the desk top would open.

I reinstalled Net Framework 4.0 in safe mode and restarted to the normal screen.Still the same with nothing in the program list or on the desktop will open.
COMODO firewall and Avast AV were able to start in safe mode.

I am in safe mode with net working now looking for more help.
Thank you for any help

FFwanderer

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

Hi again-
While you are not working on line, try to disable your Antivirus and firewall then do these checks.

Can you please check in Control Panel > Add / Remove and list the basic versions of .Net Framework that exist there now.
If there is much change from what I list below, I will give you the linking Microsoft KB numbers
Also make sure that you put a tick in the Show Updates box at the top -

You should have these basic versions of .NET Framework listed 1 , 1.1 , 2 , 3 , 3.5 , 4 , plus assorted updates for these versions (listed fron my XP SP3 Pro).

Thank You -

#6 Group

Group
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

Hello,
Net Framework list
1. is listed under Net FW 2 SP2
2. SP2
3. SP2
3.5 SP1

4. is not listed even though I did a install.
It is at
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319 with this folder and files
Folder- SetupCache
Microsoft.JScript.tlb
mscoree.tlb
mscorlib.tlb
System.Drawing.tlb
System.EnterpriseServices.tlb
System.tlb
System.Windows.Forms.tlb

thank you
Kind regards
FFWanderer
PS
I may not reply for 8 hours my bed is calling

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:33 PM

Hi -
We all do need our sleep :mellow: and I hope yours was restful - My Garbo truck has just woken me (6.30AM) and so I am now with it -

This item (.NET Framework 4) should be listed in Control Panel > Add / Remove, or it did not fully install - Below from M/soft.
This issue may be caused by the following scenarios:
•Uninstalling the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 2003 Server and Windows XP when the .NET Framework 4 is installed.
•Enabling the .NET Framework 3.0 WCF HTTP Activation when the .NET Framework 4 is installed.
•Installing or repairing the .NET Framework 3.5 when the .NET Framework 4 is installed.
•The current version of the .NET Framework 4 is installed when a prerelease version has already been installed.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=186690 < Link to a list of .NET Framework 4 Failures / Errors and Fixes -

Please delete your current install and then Download from here >> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=186916
Note that the .NET Framewrk items should only be installed in their correct order or it may not install.

Thank You -
EDIT -
If a problem still exists, these items can be removed and reinstalled in their correct order again.
Just for this install, can you please Disable (not remove) Comodo Firewall -

Edited by noknojon, 29 July 2012 - 03:38 PM.

#8 Group

Group
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:45 PM

OK will try that.

#9 Group

Group
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:25 AM

Hello N, I'm not having much luck.
I downloaded MS Net Framework 4.0 to my desktop in Safe Mode. Clicked it to install and the install stopped with the message, Windows Installer, not installed. Checked in Add & Remove, and it was not there. Downloaded it from MS to my desktop and tried to install it.
There was a message that said it was not a good idea to install "Windows Installer 4.5" from Safe Mode.
Tried anyway and no it didn't show in A&R. Tried again,no luck.
I then tried to install Networking 4.0 again and it seamed to complete it's install without stopping to tell me the Windows Installer was missing.But it's not showing in Add & Remove.I haven't tried removing any other Net Frameworks as yet.Still unable to get anything to open or run anything from the normal desktop

What do you think I could try next

Regards and thanks again for the help.

FFWanderer

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:07 AM

not a good idea to install "Windows Installer 4.5" from Safe Mode. <<
Hi -
Do we still have a Typo with regards to .NET Framework 4.5 and 4.0 as 4.5 will never install on your XP system. See above by hamluis

First run these 2 scan items - sfc /scannow (for which you will need your XP CD) and CheckDisk , no CDs required for this -
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

•Click Start and open My Computer
Right-click on C: ,or your main drive letter, and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
•Mark the boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and reboot your computer
•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't turn off power so that it is allowed to do the scan
It will reboot your computer when the program is finished -
This can take over 1 hour, but it will depend on your system, and installed programs - Please have a coffee or do something else while it runs

If you do have your XP CD or can borrow one to match your system (Home / Media / Pro) please find it, or borrow one -
Click Start > Run > Type in Run Box > sfc / scannow and insert your CD in the tray. Click OK or press Enter then insert the CD. This should only take about 15 minutes to run
You need to watch the screen as it may "stall" or give an error message and you click "Continue" or Ignore" and the program will keep running.

Have I given the wrong link for .NET Framework 4 ?? Or is just the message you still get ??
This the link I gave Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) and should not be related to 4.5 Version
These updates are not usually going to work in Safe Mode, as the installer has not enough access to your system -

Please Remove ALL items not required, and that includes your Printer / Fax and any other connected devices.
Now Disable Comodo and try the install link I have left again
You should now only have a keyboard, mouse and screen attached with Nothing Else at all - NOW try the Download -

This seems to be your main current problem, so Please post back if the problem continues, and we will find another way to install it for you -

Thank You -
EDIT for spelling only -

Edited by noknojon, 01 August 2012 - 12:10 AM.

#11 Group

Group
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:25 AM

not a good idea to install "Windows Installer 4.5" from Safe Mode. <<
Hi -
Do we still have a Typo with regards to .NET Framework 4.5 and 4.0 as 4.5 will never install on your XP system. See above by hamluis

Hi

No not a typo "Windows Installer" is "4.5" and I am not referring to NET Framework here.
I' OK with "NET Framework 4.0" now.

Windows Installer4.5 does not show up in Add & Remove

So I went to Microsoft Support here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2438651#reso1)
I Followed the instructions at (Windows Installer issues Fixing)
At the command prompt,I typed MSIExec.
"If the MSI engine is working, there should be no error messages"
And there was no error messages.

Second Check
"Make sure that the Windows Installer service is not set to Disabled
In the Run box type services.msc in the dialog"
" If the Startup type box is set to Disabled, change it to Manual"
It was set to Manual
I suppose this means the "Windows Installer 4.5" must be there and it's not showing in Add&Remove

I then tried to do a WEB install of Net Framework 4.0 from Microsoft Support and it canceled itself after a short amount of time.Not unexpected though.

This was all in Safe Mode.
The main problem at the moment is nothing will work from the main Desk Top screen
Explorer will not open,programs won't start from Desk Top icons and the computer wont shut down from the
shut down box.I have to switch it off at the Box to shut down.So nothing will install from the desktop

I will go and try your latest suggestions and post again later
Thanks for your patients
Regards
FFWanderer

#12 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:55 AM

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=120486 << Direct Link for Download Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable package now.

Remove All other items attached to computer and this means Printers and any other hardware not needed for the download -
Disable Comodo - Will never install in Safe Mode <<<<<

Please still run this program in Normal Mode -
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

•Click Start and open My Computer
Right-click on C: ,or your main drive letter, and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button
•Mark the boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and reboot your computer
•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't turn off power so that it is allowed to do the scan
It will reboot your computer when the program is finished -
This can take over 1 hour, but it will depend on your system, and installed programs - Please have a coffee or do something else while it runs

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 01 August 2012 - 04:00 AM.

#13 Group

Group
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:37 AM

Hi noknojon
I think we are talking in circles here noknojon

"WINDOWS CANNOT ACCESS THE SPECIFIED DEVICE PATH OR FILE. YOU MAY NOT HAVE PERMISSION TO ACCESS THEM"

This note comes up when I click on any program to start from the Windows XPs normal Desk Top Screan.

Windows programs or any other program will not run from the XP Desktop!

I only have access to some programs by starting up in
"Safe Mode with Networking"
That means I can start Firefox and connect to the internet and download but only in Safe Mode
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=120486 << Direct Link for Download Windows Installer 4.5 Redistributable package now."
I have downloaded from this link and have this but it will not install from the XP Desktop.

"sfc /scannow with XP CD"

Will not run from the Run box in XPs normal Desk Top Screan
and will not run in Safe Mode

"Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:"

Will not run in XPs normal Desk Top Screan
Check Disk did start in safe mode. I ticked the boxs and Schedule disk check button and rebooted
When it rebooted and started XP normaly Check Disk ran and no problems were found.

Regards FFWanderer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users