Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FM radios mandatory in mobile phones

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: FM tuners in mobile phones (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like FM tuners in all mobile phones?

1. Doesn't matter (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. No (8 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Yes (6 votes [37.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 saint satin stain

saint satin stain

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:52 PM

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2010/08/radio-riaa-mandatory-fm-radio-in-cell-phones-is-the-future/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/garyshapiro/2012/06/06/dinosaur-broadcasters-turn-to-congress-to-mandate-their-relevance-2/

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/08/mandatory-fm-radios/

http://www.marcus-spectrum.com/Blog/files/category-fm-in-cell-phones.html

I have an Adroid phone now without a FM radio, so I still carry my old T-Mobile Tap because it does have one. Also, I can use the music player; the alarms sound even when it's off; I can use it for storage. And all phones now without service can dial 911.

This is mandatory for me when I choose a mobile phone: it must have FM radio, expandable external memory, and removable battery. I am not choosing the Samsung Galaxy S 3, and awesome phone, because it does not have a radio. Streamers are fine, but not all radio stations stream. I choose the HTC Amaze because it does have a radio. I dont want to see a government mandate, though I believe that all mobile phones should have radios.

If you have a mobile plan with limited data plan a FM tuner is useful; it does not use your data plan, or minutes, just battery.

Edited by saint satin stain, 27 July 2012 - 10:09 PM.

saint satin stain
Responsible for what I say,
not for what you understand.
www.leftinalabama.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

For me, a phone is a phone: a device to make phone calls with and on rare occasions send a text message.

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

For me, a phone is a phone: a device to make phone calls with and on rare occasions send a text message.

I play music more than I make phone calls, so I carry a solar battery charger, and an extra charged battery.\

My son says, dad, it's a phone, a phone!

I like choices. I have Sky and TuneIn (software radio) streamers; I have AudioGalaxy which streams music from my home desktop computer (why upload your music to Google or some other site, then stream to your phone?) ; I play the music on my mem card. I love the old FM radio too; some local stations dont stream.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,331 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:03 PM

I also only use it as a phone. I play my music,TV and Email on other devices.
I am sure that oyhers are bigger users of the phones for other things.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

hate to break it to you, but its an android phone, you can download an FM radio app for it, and use your headphones as an antanae, and if you cant get it to work, most radio stations have internet apps you can download to your android where you can listen to your favorite radio station anywhere you have enough signal for internet.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:30 AM

I have streamers but also like hardware radio, a FM chip. If the Samsung Galaxy S 3 had a FM radio, it would be double awesome. I sometimes want to listen to radio not streamers. Over the air radio does not have the gaps that streamers, even the best, suffer sometimes.

The HTC Amaze is Android and it has a radio. HTC has about half a dozen handsets with FM radio.

Edited by saint satin stain, 31 July 2012 - 11:31 AM.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

Most motorola phones do actually have FM radio, all you need is the earphones for the antannae, and to download the app for it. Not sure about other brands but I bet a lot do.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:58 PM

Agreed except no need for the texting either.
Everytime I unplug the wire from my phone to go wireless I lose my dialtone, Help! :whistle:
Anyone remember the old wireless phones, not cellular? You had to have money for those.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 04:24 AM

:lol: at losing your dial-tone. Happens to me too :grin:

By wireless, not cellular, phone are you referring to the cordless phone? The sort that sat in a phone cradle on a charger, contact points at the bottom of the handset? If so, I've got one of those too. Dad got it long ago so he could field phone calls when he was not at the desk or later when he was outside or on another level of the house. Range didn't reach to the property boundaries though.

One of my big complaints about cell phones: the buttons are minuscule. I have no idea how folks can manipulate those buttons so fast.

Orange Blossom likes her speaker phone. Nice big buttons - nearly an inch in diameter, nice long cord (which I bought for it) which allows me to take the phone into the next room, and a good volume. :) I can hear it ring even when I'm outside, and the phone is big enough that I can find it very quickly, UNLIKE my cell-phone. If I don't have my glasses on, I can't even see the cell phone from a foot away much less be able to answer it.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

by Wireless I mean the old style mobile phones that you could have in your car prior to cellular being deployed.

If interested here is a couple of links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Telephone_Service

The Mobile Telephone Service (MTS) is a pre-cellular VHF radio system that links to the Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN)

This service was used at least into the 1980s in large portions of North America. [1]

MTS was replaced by Improved Mobile Telephone Service (IMTS).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_radio_telephone

Mobile radio telephone systems preceded modern cellular mobile telephony technology. Since they were the predecessors of the first generation of cellular telephones, these systems are sometimes retroactively referred to as pre cellular

I have the same type of wireless as you do at work. I don't have a complaint against cell phones. I don't have one. :whistle:

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 05 August 2012 - 08:43 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 saint satin stain

saint satin stain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

I'm an old man, been giving away stuff, selling some, so I won't be burdened with lots of stuff. On my present Android I can do almost everything that I can do on my desktop, except as stated before have big buttons. I get text, of course, twitter, facebook, all 13 of my email addresses, I have a full office suite, a notepad, camscanner to scan documents and print as pdf, and I can watch news, tv, and movies; I can take pictures and video. I stream my music from my desktop computer at home, it basically acts as a server now with the help of dropbox and the synchronization of my security suite. I can control my desktop from my mobile phone.

It is more than just a phone to me. I dont want to carry an additional device to listen to music; I want it all in my mobile phone. "mobile phone" is more descriptive than "cell phone" for general day to day purposes. It is a phone that's mobile. Tech geeks may like "cell phone."

Why should I carry an additional device dedicated to music when I can have it all on just one general device? One fewer to lose. Only one to keep secure, and with an additional charged batter and a solar powered charger I dont run out of juice. Yes, there are some devices with FM potential but I want it already built in. I dont want to stream my own music from Google or any other service, I stream my own music from my own computer, thereby do not give over potential control to Google or other service of my music. I have some of my favorite music stored on the phone, and I have some streamers such as TuneIn Radio and Sky.

I am an old man and you want me to carry multiple devices. I could carry an ipod, a portable radio, and phone; three things to charge, to keep safe. Why not one. I choose the HTC Amaze because it has a radio over the Samsung Galaxy S 3, though it is awesome.

I am mobile in my remaining years, a cyclist, so my mobile phone must be as close as possible to a desktop computer in my pocket.

saint satin stain
www.leftinalabama.com

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,962 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2012 - 05:33 PM

To each his own. No-one is saying you have to carry a lot of devices around. You like having the option of an embedded FM radio in your device. That is fine. Many others, like me, wouldn't use such. Requiring such a feature to be embedded would drive up the costs of phones making things more difficult for those on a slim budget that only want a phone to use in the case of an emergency. Too bad payphones are practically non-existent these days.

For me, radio is something to enjoy when I'm at home, or when I'm dozing in the car. Outside, I prefer listening to mother nature.

To me, I think it makes the most sense to have a range of devices with various capabilities available. That way, everyone can get what he/she wants without having to shell out a bunch of money for stuff they don't want and wouldn't use.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Orange Blossom

#13 ksmeet

ksmeet

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:01 AM

I love music, specially FM Radio tuning is my favourite time pass. Its helpful during busy in other activities. Listening music refresh my mind.

#14 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:27 PM

Just to update, I now have a cellular phone, I inherited it, It is several years old. It is on my brothers plan as a second phone so It costs a whopping $10 a month. It is a basic Samsung Phone. No smartphones in the House. My brother had a heck of a time finding a basic replacement that he liked when his old, old Nokia started getting flaky. He even had Texting disabled by the provider.

He and I agree, Phone is for making and receiving phone calls. Not for use to play music, Watch Videos, Take Photos or go Internet.

Cheers

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 12 October 2013 - 01:45 AM

You can also download a program called iHeartRadio where you can get live radio streams from FM Stations that stream to it world wide. It is a great application, and you can use it on various devices.

Voted No, because it would be one more thing to fail.

Edited by cryptodan, 12 October 2013 - 01:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users