Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard problems and strange sounds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 paw51

paw51

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:41 PM

I have an older compac laptop, 64 bit with Windows 7. I am guessing about 4 years old. Lately various keys on the keyboard are not functioning unless hit VERY hard. For a few days it was the L key, sometimes the delete or backspace key and lately the space key. Usually only one key at time is not working properly. Does this simply mean I need a new keyboard or is there something else I could try?

Tonight I noticed that certain tabs on websites or certain links, or just certain keyboard keys create a bell-like sound...multiple bell tones sort of like a doorbell. Have never had this before. Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks.

Pat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:58 PM

I have an older compac laptop, 64 bit with Windows 7. << From this do you mean you Updated to Windows7 from another O/S ??
Do you worh in a dusty area, or an area that may cause specks of (for example) dust, dirt, food, etc to fall on the keyboard (not unusual) ??

The usual first few ideas are to use a small paint brush or mini broom to clean the keyboard.
Following this you would turn the unit upside-down and Very Gently tap the area to see if any bits of "rubbish" fall out.
Also just see if you can borrow, or use another mouse for the click problem

If this will not work, please post back, or check if any other answers have been posted to your problem -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 27 July 2012 - 08:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users