Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Power Icon Battery Power Status Not Showing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Onepen03

Onepen03

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hello, this is my second post on this website; and I hope I'm posting in the correct category.

Here's the problem I'm having and I hope someone can help.

I've just repaired Windows XP and its now booting up great!, however, the battery icon (in the bottom left) has a symbol, the icon showing is a "plug" as if my laptop is plugged in and it never shows how much battery life I have, weather my laptop is plugged in or not. I know my battery isn't failing or is damaged because I checked it with another hard drive that has windows XP (and with Dell Diagnostics) and the battery icon shows up normally (i.e. showing me how much battery life I have left).

I've been reading up on this and I think Windows XP's "Power Manager" thinks or act as if I'm on a Desktop when I"m on a laptop. Please Help! :crazy: lol

Edited by Onepen03, 27 July 2012 - 04:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Hello -
Did the battery Icon ever work when you were in "Malware Removal" forum with Elise ??

Please list your Dell model -

Thank You -

#3 Onepen03

Onepen03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:14 AM

It worked before my computer went down.

When Elise helped me and we got it working again, the battery icon wasn't working properly at that point as described in my opening post.

My laptop is a DELL XPS M140 with a Windows XP Home Edition operating system. :)

#4 Onepen03

Onepen03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:16 AM

Oh and its service pack 3 (Windows XP Home Edition)

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Did you Install all the Dell drivers and Utilities from the Dell Website? Dells are a little different than a generic computer.
Dell Website Link

I'm thinking of these, I'd give these three a try.

Notebook System Software, Should be first thing installed.

Description
Notebook System Software (NSS) is a utility that provides critical updates and patches for your operating system. Install the NSS program to gain support for Dell 3.5-inch USB floppy drives, Intel Pentium-M processors, CD-ROM/CD-RW/DVD drives, Infrared (IR) communications, and USB devices. NSS is necessary for correct operation of your Dell portable computer, including the Dell D/Bay, D/Dock, D/Port, and D/View family of docking devices. NSS automatically detects your computer and operating system and installs the updates appropriate for your configuration.

QuickSet

QuickSet provides the following features: POWER: Power management schemes, Battery resource information and health, Warning messages unsupported power-adapter/dock/battery scenarios are detected. DISPLAY: Display brightness, Desktop font & Internet Explorer Scaling, Display switching via Fn+F8 and presentation mode. NETWORK/CONNECTIVITY: Radio/Wireless activity control using the wireless switch (OR) the Fn+F2 hotkey depending on your system, Location Profiler (Creation and switching of profiles comprising location dependent system settings; Managing multiple connections), Internal network card activity (depending on your system), Wi-Fi Catcher™ Network Locator Configuration OTHER/SYSTEM SETTINGS: Volume status, Hotkey hibernate, MediaDirect (on certain systems) XPS SYSTEMS only: LED color control and Touchpad LED control (depending on your system), Advanced power schemes

How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

The following list is an overview of the correct order to install drivers on Dell desktops and laptops. After manually reinstalling a Microsoft Windows operating system, follow the order listed when reinstalling drivers. If you are installing a single driver or for Installation Instructions click here .Otherwise It is recommended that you print this list for reference when installing drivers after a manual reinstallation of Microsoft Windows operating system.

Hope this helps
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 July 2012 - 02:46 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 03:07 AM

Hi -
I have asked this question on Dell Forums, and just got this reply:
"Can you check Power Options in Control Panel? Start > Control Panel > Power Options > See if there is an option for battery icon to display. "
Let me know if you need further help -

Regards -

#7 Onepen03

Onepen03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

@noknojon I checked and there is no battery icon to display option or selection . . . any other ideas? :)

#8 Onepen03

Onepen03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

@rotor123 / Roger . . . I can't get these to install, it says its not compatible with my system. I noticed that when I tried it again it didn't list my laptops model. The only one that downloaded was the "Quick Set". I've done some updates through the Dell website after Elise helped me as well. Any other things we can try?

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:33 PM

Strange, when I try the first link of the four it takes me to the page for the model you listed with XP. Quickset is under the first thing displayed.

Application (4) If that doesn't do it and it can't be found under Power options, I don't know. I don't have a laptop at hand with XP to play with either.

I'll have to think on it.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hello again -
Further ideas and a question from the Dell forum -

Have you recently reinstalled Operating System ??

Can you install quickset? Here is the link

Here is a Download LINK

Link Edited -

Edited by noknojon, 30 July 2012 - 06:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users