Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Learning C After Java

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ragnarok31

Ragnarok31

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:28 AM

Hey, I'm currently learning Java in a programming course at my school. However, it seems to me that most real programs are written in C. I was wondering how difficult it would be for me to learn C after learning Java. I'm doing pretty well at writing programs in Java, but I'm afraid that C will be very different.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 23 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by real programs? How do you define a real program? I make money off of Java programs that I write.. does that mean they are not real?

C is exactly the same as Java, meaning you have variables, data structures, conditional statements, etc. The way that they are implemented is completely different though. There are already enough threads that describe the differences, so I won't go into them.

#3 Happy_Reaper

Happy_Reaper

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:37 PM

There are a couple of differences between C and Java that immediately come to mind. None of them should make learning C any more difficult, though.

- Java does garbage collecting, C does not
- Java is Object-Oriented, C is not
- Generally, there is more abstracting in Java, I think.
- Consequently, though, C tends to do things faster.
Teacher: "You connect with Internet Explorer, but what is your browser? You know, Yahoo, Webcrawler...?" <-- It's great to see the educational system moving in the right direction...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users