Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why I wouldn't buy a refurbished computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 11:26 AM

All the parts used in a computer have a lifetime. Spinning parts especially. This would be hard drives, fans and Optical drives.

When a manufacturer refurbishes a computer they do not replace every part. They test and replace any bad parts found if any.

Any part has a design life. Whatever use that computer has had reduces the remaining life. Laptop screens the backlight has a finite life.

Quite often the warranty period is reduced to 90 days. Why would they do that, don't they trust it to last as well as a new one with the one year warranty?

then there are the non manufacturer, Factory refurbished computers I've seen turning up. My suspicion is these are units that have come off of lease. I've seen reports of these that range from pristine to badly worn. The sad fact is that some people do not treat leased the same way they would if owned.
I've seen laptops that came off of lease. I wouldn't touch some of them without a thorough Sanitizing others looked like new.

There are savings from refurbished, often that savings is from the reduced warranty period.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Ive bought several refurbished laptops (manufacter refurbished) from reputable sites such as newegg or techforless (love them for refurbished computers, very reliable, many of them come with a 1 year full warranty) and never had any problem with them. My first refurbished was a HP dv8000, came with a 1 year warranty, the screen went out 1 week before warranty was expired. Called HP up, they sent me the packaging, got it the next day, I shipped it to them, and they had it back to me 2 days later with a brand new screen, and they paid for all the shipping, and I still had 3 days left on my warranty. I still have that laptop it was a year old when I got it, and ive had it 6 now. . .only thing wrong is the DVD drive finally conked out on me. But hey, 6 years, and the only thing wrong is the DVD drive, im not complaining.

You make some valid points, but at the same time, if you know what your looking for and trust the retailer, you can find some great deals on great refurbished laptops. Ive resold several to customers, and none of them have had a problem with them. Keep in mind Im very choosy about which laptops I resell-but I do, and they all seem to work fine.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

If they are refurbed by the maker they can be alright. And if it is a new model that has only been out a short while then it can't have had a lot of wear and tear on it. And it has to have a 1 year warranty!

Lately the one site you mentioned has been running sales on refurbed that have to be Kind of old. Lenovo T61 was one I saw recently. And some older Dell laptops too. Refurb yes, not by the maker as far as I could tell.
Along with DeBranded HP monitors.

I'm glad your experience with HP warranty was good. Mine was mixed. I sent in a dual core for repair that had a bad motherboard and got back a single core, back it went again, this time something else was bad, I wish I could remember what. Third time was the charm.
Most times it was fixed first try. A bit of a delay since I didn't send back the hard drive on one.

Best Regards
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 27 July 2012 - 06:10 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:25 PM

a lot of it with me is brand to. I usually only get refurbished HPs, or lenovas. I wouldnt even mind an older lenova, I really like their laptops (their just rebranded IBMs) their solid laptops, most of the ones ive seen just keep on ticking no matter what you do to them, had several friends in college who had them. Not very powerful, and kinda small, but they just kept pluggin. And Ive always enjoy it when I get one that used to be a display model that was never used, they usually where in really good shape. Im usually pretty good at finding the deals.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:44 AM

Usually Lenovo or HP excluding certain problematic older models of course are good makes.

It is true that the Thinkpads are not spiffy looking, They just keep working. I also consider a Thinkpad as much better that the normal Lenovo non Thinkpad.

Regards
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#6 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:24 AM

Just to extend this topic to explain why buying USED computer parts is not a good idea.

At least it isn't in my opinion. I feel it's better to go new. Why save money now when it may cost you more later when that bargain priced motherboard has something wrong with it or the hard drive dies to soon?

Bad things to buy refurbished

1. Hard drives, If they work You don't know how many hours they have on them nor how they were used. Were they always run hot, were they dropped, did someone repair it to map out bad sectors?

2. Optical drives. The laser(s) have a finite lifetime. How many discs were burned in it. How much life is left in the laser.

3. Motherboards. Why is it being sold? Is there some function that isn't working right? Was it hooked up to a defective power supply that may have caused hidden damage? Chipset cooling fans wear out, how many hours of use.
Electrolytic capacitors where used have a finite lifetime rating in Hours. How many thousands of hours depend one the brand and model. That is one reason I shut my computer off when I'm done with it. And then remove the AC since the power supply uses them too and it is always on waiting for the button press to turn on. Removing the AC also protects against electrical surges.

4. Video cards. I have had to replace bad capacitors on more than one. Cooling fans wear out. Gaming card? How hot has it been run, was it overclocked?

5. Power supplies> Most users leave the AC connected, causing wear to the capacitors. Normally they are left connected to the AC line too. Thus they can suffer damage from power surges.

6. Surge protector. They wear out since each surge wears out some of the protection. There are pricier models that will warn about bad wiring or if they are no longer protecting you.

Hope this helps
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:59 PM

most of the refurbished ones I buy, are either display models-rarely used, or from people and companies who upgrade their laptops every year whether they need to or not. Techforless used to tell you, I don't think they do anymore though :(

picard5.jpg

#8 seandion

seandion

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

REFURBISHED OFF-LEASE vs FACTORY REFURBISHED...

If you are looking at purchasing a refurbished computer, look to see if the computer is an off-lease refurb or if it is a factory refurb. A FACTORY REFURB is usually something that has come back to the manufacturer because it didn't work correctly, was repaired, and then is resold again to recover some costs.

But an off-lease refurb is quite a bit different. Imagine leasing an automobile from Toyota aad returning it after the 39 months. If you don't give it back in good, working condition, you get hit with substantial fees, right? The same is true of the off-lease computer market. Those computers have to come back in good, working condition. More importantly, perhaps, the grade of equipment that gets leased is superior to that of what an end-user might purchase directly from the manufacturer and return to that same place in the event of failure.

A few companies who specialize in off-lease refurbs actually provide a better than new warranty along with new keyboards and mice. The bottom line, if you don't mind a few scratches, but want the type of equipment that big businesses run their businesses on, look for off-lease refurbs, and stay clear of anything considered "factory refurbished."

Sean Dion
www.TKOEDucation.com

#9 rotor123

rotor123
  • Topic Starter

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

Where I work we bought some off lease Dells, Some even had a bit of warranty left so not real old. They didn't claim to be refurbed only used. That is one reason I'll never buy used. The other reason is why I keep cans of raid handy.

Some of them were Cherry, Some of them I wanted to throw them in a washer and dryer they were so disgusting I didn't want to touch them. They were all secure wiped DBAN. Some of them looked like the user had been coughing all over them the whole time they had them. Others so much food crumbs between the keys I was surprised they worked.

I shouldn't say never, I did buy a used Toshiba. It was freshly repaired so I knew it was clean inside. Toshiba had replaced the motherboard. The fan kept racing up and down so I took it in trade on a clean one of mine and fixed it. Cheap fix, New Fin, Toshibas name for the heatsink assembly. The heat pipe had failed or was defective which could have been what killed the motherboard. I think I spent $30 to $40 for the fin and keyboard together. Added a SSD and it works great. SO I was inside of it before buying when I was testing. The 2 year warranty had just run out when I bought it.

Case by case but in general no used.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users