Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Keeps Having Problems With Modem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 coolum

coolum

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 01:07 AM

I am trying to connect my external modem to my computer. I took AOl security center off to use AVG anti virus and Sygate firewall. I am now having trouble reconnecting to my modem. I keep getting a message that says:

SysFader: iexplore.exe-Application Error

The instructionat"0x1002d7db"referenced memory at "0x1002d7db". The memory could not be "read"
Click on O.K. to terminate the program.

When I do this my Internet explorer closes. I have do numerous system restores to earlier days, but I am still left with the same problem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:43 AM

From what I have learned that is an obsolete Nivida Utility (SysFader.exe). I recommend to go to the web site of the company that made your card and download fresh drivers. Unzip them into a folder on your computer. Then go to the Device Manager and remove the video adapter from the list. When you boot windows it will prompt you to install the device. Select the option that allows you to manually install the software. Select "Have Disk" and point it to the folder containing the drivers.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:16 AM

I am using Telstra Big pond and each time I put the installation disc in and try to activate the modem it tells me to delete the previous version. I have tried to delete it to no avail.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 10:07 AM

In the control panel, click on "add/remove hardware" and use the wizard to uninstall the modem.

Reboot with the modem not connected and follow the modem manufacturer's instructions to install it.

#5 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 07:16 PM

I have tried to remove the old Telstra Big Pond Program but, it says:

this patch could not be opened. Verify that the patch exists and that you can not access it, or contact the aplication vendor to verify that it is a valid Windows Installer patch package.

I also looked for the file in Program Files but it is not there.
When I put the Big Pond software disc in, ittells me to first disable my firewall.

I was running AOL Security center with Mcafee anti virus and Firewall.
I was able to get rid of both programs but the Windows security center says that Atleast one ofthe firewals installed on this computer is Currently on.

I have turned the windows firewall off but it still shows up in the security center as being on.

I am not able to go online with this computer to attempt to fix this problem. What if I saved all my programs to disc then did a full sytem recovery?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:33 PM

You had Sygate, McAffee and Windows firewall at various times.

Are you certain that you uninstalled both Sygate and McAffee and the Windows firewall is turned off?

go to run, type in msconfig.

Look through the programs in startup and make sure that Sygate or McAffee is not still showing up there. If it is, remove it from the start menu.

#7 coolum

coolum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:10 PM

I have looked for both and they are not at startup

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2006 - 12:05 PM

You should be able to connect to a broadband modem without proprietal software.

In the control panel click Network and Dialup connections then "make a new connection" and see if you can set up the lan for the broadband modem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users