Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Could You Spare A Second...thanks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:42 PM

Thanks for your time..

I need to write a small Batch file to delete files from the following folders in one run;

temporary internet folder
prefetch

and any other accumulative files that are safe to delete

many thanks for your help and advice..

Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 09 March 2006 - 12:55 AM

Hi there,

There is a program that is small, user friendly and would cause less havoc on your Prefetch file then deleting the entire contents.

It's called Cleanup!.

It gets rid of all kinds of junk including Temp Internet files. Plus, it makes a pleasant flushing sound at the start of the cleaning process.
Deleting the entire Prefetch contents, in my experiences, makes for a slower start-up, and slower program response time. But if there is a logical explanation for your actions, then just disregard the previous statements.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 09:52 AM

Thank you. Stupidly, I have been clearing out the prefetch folder which may explain the tempramental behavior I'm experiencing when starting up and loading apps.

I really appreciate your help.
Darren

#4 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:27 AM

Thank you. Stupidly, I have been clearing out the prefetch folder which may explain the tempramental behavior I'm experiencing when starting up and loading apps.

I really appreciate your help.
Darren

No problem, glad to help out.

May I also point out, that if you decide to use Cleanup! , when you open the app. , and click options, I might suggest un-ticking the box next to Prefetch for a few days, just to let your system compile all the nessecary files for the programs you use often.

The prefetch option in theory, is supposed to only get rid of files that have not been used in a certain amount of time. Thus, keeping it from getting bloated, but not belemic. :thumbsup:

Have a nice day,

nos :flowers:

#5 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2006 - 07:48 PM

He he he he..I have this terrible affliction that causes me to go gung ho and clear out everything that I think would make the comp slow down..including but not limited to the temp internet folder et. al.
Do you feel the temp folder should be left alone also?
I wanted to keep 'er running fast..so is it better to let the temp internet folder build up too or should that one be kept clean? I know I did get an error message at start up after using cleanUp! that "InCD" could not connect to the file system..but it seems to have sorted itself out now. Your advice is very much appreciated.

#6 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 02:54 AM

Hi again,

I personnally clear my Temp Internet folder out daily. In fact, I use firefox, and use an extension that allows me to clear the temp folder any time with one click. On some internet connections cleaning it out may affect your speed, simply because it stores pages that you have visited. However, if you have DSL or Cable, you are not going to notice a significant reduction in surfing speeds.

I have put this to the test on a few occasions, and personally would rather have a nice clean temp internet folder mainly for the reasons of privacy. Also, if you visit a lot of pages that have video or images, these can take up a bit of space on your hard-drive. So all in all, it is just about your personal preference, but if you are wanting my advice, and you don't spend 14 hours a day as I do on the web, you may consider cleaning it out every 2-3 days.

It is true that when running cleaner apps that sometimes conflicts arise. But as in your case, usually these problems have a way of sorting themselves out. That is why I recommened Cleanup! It does a good thorough job, but isnt to harsh on your files.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users