Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remove extra installation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:14 AM

I have no idea how it happened other than changing motherboards prevents the use of the same hard drive, so I may have attempted a wipe and install. The Gigabyte motherboard I had was damaged and had to be returned for repairs. Interim, I used a MSI 785GTM-E45. My Gigabyte was returned, so I switched back to it. (To use the MSI, I used a surplus hard drive until the Gigabyte was returned.)

Upon booting my pc, I am given the choice of three operating systems to boot. The second and third are corrupt, so I would like to remove those. Research on the web was fruitless.

Disk manager shows four separate sections to the Seagate hard drive. One: unlettered and listed as 39MB healthy; two: C: 419.92 GB NTFS Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, ...; three: D: 45.79 GB NTFS Healty (Logical Drive); four: 9 MB Unall....

How do I remove the corrupt two or stop the pc from asking which os to use?

Thanks.

Cass

Gigabyte M68MT-S2 main/motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2 processor
4GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Premium
Seagate ST350064 1AS SCSI Disk Device 500GB

Edited by Cassiopeia, 27 July 2012 - 07:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kevin.holmes

kevin.holmes

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

If you go type msconfig from run, click on the boot tab on the top and it should show you a list of all of the OS's your computer has to boot. It gives you the choice to delete them but be careful because you don't want to delete your main partition. I attached an image as an example.

Attached Files

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

When I get home, I will do that. I did a %windir% so I know which file is the active OS. :)

#4 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

In msconfig, it actually reads which is active. I figure if I'm in the one that's active and it's working, I'm good with that.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users