Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building New Gaming computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brett119

Brett119

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 26 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hey guys, I have started topics in the past about future builds and what parts are apropriate, but I finally got enough money together to do one of them! Problem is, the components are getting updated every other moth so my old list is obsolete. I am going to build a High end gaming PC. I have about $2100 (give or take) to spend, and I want help choosing the components. The only part I have my mind set on is the case, a Cooler Master Haf X. I am not picky on AMD or Intel, but I would like to get one of the newest processors. I would like RAM to be 8-16 gigs, and I want a very good graphics card. If someone would be interested in helping me compile a list, I would be very grateful. My only problem is that I only want to shop from Newegg, and I would like everything to be in stock all at once. Please post your recommendations!

Edited by Brett119, 26 July 2012 - 07:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

For that amount of money, you can easily get what you want.

Case: LIAN LI PC-A70F - You can use your case, this one is more my style. With cases, aluminum cases are usually higher quality. Cases with side windows or vents will be louder. Pay attention to shipping costs as they can easily increase your total price. $189

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX - This is considered a premium motherboard. It has USB 3.0, SATA 6, and can handle PCI-E X16 at full speed with dual Crossfire or SLI. $174

CPU: AMD FX-8150 Zambezi 3.6GHz - This is roughly equal to a 2600K Intel CPU. However, with gaming at a standard resolution where the GPU takes center stage, which CPU you choose doesn't really matter. Both Intel and AMD will provide good results. $199

CPU Heatsink: XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD1283 Night Hawk Edition - This is a solid heatsink and fan for your CPU. It is much quieter than the stock fan, and will be more efficient too. $50

Power Supply: XFX PRO750W XXX Edition - This is more than enough for most systems, even those that use dual graphics cards. $137

GPU: EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB - This is Nvidia's top-of-the-line single GPU card. Technically, AMD's 7970 GHz. edition is more powerful so it can be considered a toss up if you can find one of those cards. $499

RAM: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - If you want 16GB, just buy two of these. $109 ($54 x 2)

SSD: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD1 2.5" 256GB - You should install your operating system and most frequently used applications on this for best results. $214

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB - This is the drive you put everything else on. $109

ODD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - A standard DVD drive. $18

SSD Mounting Bracket: Mushkin Enhanced MKNSSDBRKT2535 2.5" to 3.5" drive adapter bracket - You will need this. $8

OS: Windows 8 - I suggest holding off getting Windows 7 as Windows 8 is due for release in late October. In the interim, I suggest you use the Windows 8 Release Preview. Caution: This release preview is time sensitive and will deactivate shortly after Windows 8 is released, moreover, the preview is still technically a release candidate and mostly complete with a few features yet to be fully baked as opposed to the retail version. $40 to $70 (Depending on edition and purchase date)

Grand Total: $1,713

3939.png

#3 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

DJBPace07 has a good setup right there and agree with all of his components. They will all work and are solid components...

The only thing that I would change is the ram to the CORSAIR XMS 8GB or CORSAIR XMS 16GB and the motherboard to the ASUS Crosshair V Formula or the ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional.

The only reason that I would make those changes are for aesthetic purposes since he wants the Cooler Master HAF X and it has a window on it.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Those two RAM kits are essentially the same thing, though, the second one is also 2 x 8GB. ASRock isn't one I'd get for a PC like this as it is more of a value brand, and frankly, I think the Crosshair V isn't worth the premium over the Sabertooth.

3939.png

#5 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:54 PM

Those two RAM kits are essentially the same thing, though, the second one is also 2 x 8GB. ASRock isn't one I'd get for a PC like this as it is more of a value brand, and frankly, I think the Crosshair V isn't worth the premium over the Sabertooth.

Well he said 8GB or 16GB so I gave him both. They are the exact same thing only one is 8GB while the other is 16GB. I just got an ASRock motherboard and I haven't troubles with it, but I see what you mean. I was having trouble looking for another motherboard that was red and black that I liked. Anyways like I said before I only listed those parts because if I were building a $2100 computer and had a case with a window, I'd definitely want to show of the inside and I wouldn't want parts with colors that don't match. If he doesn't care about color coordinating, then I'd go with your original build.

Here's another motherboard that I would look at getting if I was looking to color coordinate, the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5. It has a little blue but not as much as the other boards and has plenty connections.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Ram: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB HDD: ADATA (Micro Center branded) 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB GPU: XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600 RS-600-AMBA-D3 Case: COOLER MASTER RC-690

Posted Image

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:49 AM

IF you get a case with a window. I wouldn't get a case with a window or side fan due to the extra noise, that and the fact I don't have the patience for doing a spectacular job hiding the wires. If you are going to be doing to the whole "Show off the innards" thing, color considerations are somewhat a concern. What about LED's?

3939.png

#7 nesto1000

nesto1000

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

IF you get a case with a window. I wouldn't get a case with a window or side fan due to the extra noise, that and the fact I don't have the patience for doing a spectacular job hiding the wires. If you are going to be doing to the whole "Show off the innards" thing, color considerations are somewhat a concern. What about LED's?

Yea... but the OP stated that he really wanted that HAF case, he might not end up getting it and my information might be irrelevant later but we don't know yet. I suck at hiding wires too, but then again my cases cable management system isn't as good as other high end systems. I would have told him about the LED's, but I don't know squat about LED's inside cases so I didn't bring the information up haha

Although if he wants to make it look cool, I just remembered something I saw in a video. The OP could add some frosted vinyl logo or something to the window of the HAF case, and put some led's on top hidden from the window that way the logo appears as if it is glowing the color of the led.

I think that I just described my next PC project haha

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users